As we predicted long ago, Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will unify cross-play, cross-progression, and cross-generational play to become the industry's most engaging game.
Black Ops Cold War represents the perfect storm of engagement. Today Activision announced Call of Duty 2020, and it's built around maximum billion-dollar monetization potential: Black Ops Cold War will feature the triumvirate of earnings, complete with cross-play, cross-progression, and cross-gen support.
- Cross-play - The new Call of Duty, which spans the entirety of the Cold War from the 1960s to the 1980s, will allow console and PC players to play together in matches. This isn't a surprise; we knew all future Call of Duty games would feature cross-play going forward (all Blizzard games will support this too).
- Cross-progression - This is extremely important. Cross-play falls apart without any cross-progression. Everything you do and unlock--your ranks, your weapons, operators, skins, etc.--will carry over regardless of what platform you play on.
- Cross-gen - This is also extremely important and is a new business mechanism that will open new monetization doorways for Activision. The idea is to create a unified framework where gamers can not only buy the game, but also spend money in a multi-platform, cross-generational model.
Cold War will also feature zombies, campaign, and a full-on multiplayer mode. It'll be fully integrated into Warzone, and will have a monetized battle pass. As such, it'll follow the established Engagement Cycle that we've outlined in our Warzone video.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War will release November 13, 2020 on PS4, Xbox One and PC. Next-gen versions will come at an undetermined date.
The Battle Pass system will unlock post-launch content with unified progression across both Black Ops Cold War and Call of Duty: Warzone. Unlock items like base weapons, customization items, and more simply by playing the game. More information on Black Ops
Cold War and Warzone will be announced at a later date.
There is a massive calendar of free post-launch content, including multiplayer maps and modes as well as a robust schedule of in-game events.
Black Ops Cold War will include Campaign, Multiplayer, and Zombies experiences.
- > NEXT STORY: Halo: Infinite now has three third-party studios helping development
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Black Ops Cold War next-gen upgrades cost $10 in new cross-gen plan