AMD is about to unleash an onslaught of EPYC server CPUs with its new EPYC 7000 series processors about to drop -- built on the exciting new Zen 2 architecture and baked on the fresh 7nm node. We're looking at between 8C/16T through to an incredible 64C/128T on a single CPU socket... but what about pricing?
According to a post on Reddit, a list of SKUs coming in the AMD EPYC 7000 range from 2Compute mean we're to expect 19 new CPUs ranging from 8C/16T, adding 4 or 8 cores along the way through to a whopping 64C/128T. HotHardware compiled a list of specs and approximate price conversions between the listed EU price and into USD which we've got below.
If we compare that against Intel's best Xeon Platinum 8180 which is a 28C/56T processor (2.5-3.8GHz with a 205W TDP) which costs $10,000 -- AMD has it in the bag with the core/thread game and EPYC. The upcoming Intel Xeon Platinum 9282 will have 56C/112T will have clocks of between 2.6-3.8GHz but a huge TDP of 400W, with price estimates putting it in the $20,000 or higher bracket -- insanity compared to the less-than-$8000 for the 64C/128T offering in EPYC 7742.
The new EPYC 7000 series CPUs can also be used in dual-CPU servers, with any model ending with 'P' capable of doing into a dual-socket board. This means you could buy 2 x AMD EPYC 7702P processors and have a total of 128C/256T for less than $10,000 -- 256 threads for the cost of what Intel provides with just 56 threads. Crazy, huh?
AMD EPYC 7000 Series Pricing
- EPYC 7742 - 64C/128T, 3.4GHz, 256MB cache, 225W, €6875.50 (~$7,834)
- EPYC 7702 - 64C/128T, 3.35GHz, 256MB cache, 200W, €6384.50 (~$7,275)
- EPYC 7702P - 64C/128T, 3.35GHz, 256MB cache, 200W, €4384.30 (~$4,996)
- EPYC 7642 - 48C/96T, 3.4GHz, 192MB cache, 225W, €4730.10 (~$4,979)
- EPYC 7552 - 48C/96T, 3.35GHz, 192MB cache, 200W, €3787.23 (~$4,311)
- EPYC 7542 - 48C/96T, 3.4GHz, 192MB cache, 225W, €3371.20 (~$3,841)
- EPYC 7502 - 32C/64T, 3.35GHz, 128MB cache, 180W, €2580.80 (~$2940)
- EPYC 7502P - 32C/64T, 3.35GHz, 128MB cache, 180W, €2284.40 (~$2,602)
- EPYC 7452 - 32C/64T, 3.35GHz, 128MB cache, 155W, €2013.20 (~$2,294)
- EPYC 7402 - 24C/48T, 3.35GHz, 128MB cache, 180W, €1773.30 (~$2,020)
- EPYC 7402P - 24C/48T, 3.35GHz, 128MB cache, 180W, €1242.00 (~$1,415)
- EPYC 7352 - 24C/48T, 3.2GHz, 128MB cache, 155W, €1281.38 (~$1,459)
- EPYC 7302 - 16C/32T, 3.3GHz, 128MB cache, 155W, €972.80 (~$1,108)
- EPYC 7302P - 16C/32T, 3.3GHz, 128MB cache, 155W, €822.60 (~$937)
- EPYC 7282 - 16C/32T, 3.2GHz, 64MB cache, 120W, €620.94 (~$707)
- EPYC 7272 - 12C/24T, 3.2GHz, 64MB cache, 120W, €597.21 (~$680)
- EPYC 7262 - 8C/16T, 3.4GHz, 64MB cache, 155W, €575.60 (~$655)
- EPYC 7252 - 8C/16T, 3.2GHz, 64MB cache, 120W, €455.83 (~$519)
- EPYC 7252P - 8C/16T, 3.2GHz, 64MB cache, 120W, €431.34 (~$491)