Windows 10 Mobile Preview Build 10572 is now live, and as with the last release, it includes many exciting changes and feature additions. Perhaps most exciting of all is the ability to text from your PC -- no need to leave your phone by the desk or go get it to text someone anymore.
The new feature is handled through Cortana which can also show you missed calls. When you see a missed call, you simply click "text reply" and proceed to, well, text reply. If you want to text someone at any time, type or speak "text" and who you want to text (as you would on your phone), and Cortana will handle the rest.
To set it up, sign into Cortana with the same Microsoft account on your phone and PC. Notifications can be disabled on any device at any time through Cortana.
Sadly, it appears despite the new Skype integration, you can't call people back with Skype (yet at least).
Other changes in 10572 include Uber/Cortana integration, Cortana background power usage optimization, and various performance improvements and bug fixes, among other things.
Now to kill your buzz: this build suffers the same problems as last, which is to say it's a real hassle to install, so it's probably best to wait until 10575, at which point this will be rectified. If you still wish to proceed, here are the steps for Insider members:
- Go back to Windows 8.1 first using the Windows Device Recovery Tool.
- Once you're on Windows Phone 8.1, install the Windows Insider app, choose the Fast ring, and reboot your phone.
- After that - this build should download and install on your phone.
- > NEXT STORY: New PC footage of cancelled Battlefront 3 game surfaces
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Xbox leverages titanic flying screen to livestream Halo 5 gameplay