Test System Setup
Processor:AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Socket AM2
Motherboard: MSI K9N Platinum (Supplied by MSI Australia)
Hard Disk: Seagate 7200.9 500GB SATA (Supplied by Seagate Australia)
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 7800GT
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
Drivers: nForce Platform Driver 9.16, ForceWare 91.31 and DX9c
Our test system was an AMD Athlon 64 X2 on the AM2 platform as it was the first CPU/Motherboard platform at the time we started testing to officially support DDR-2 800 from stock without overclocking the CPU.
This is done by running a divider of 1:2 as the AMD Athlon 64 series uses 200MHz starting bus to get the required 400MHz memory clock for 800MHz DDR. It is required to double the FSB clock speed to the memory controller hence a 1:2 ratio is used. This gave us a good baseline to determine the memory modules ability to run DDR-2 800 which all our modules did without a problem. We then lowered the CPU multiplier and raised the FSB while leaving the RAM dividers set for DDR-2 800 (1:2).
As we raised the FSB, we lowered the multiplier of the CPU in order to keep the final CPU clock speed as close to 2.2GHz as possible - it's not an ideal world, so each module had a slightly different processor clock speed.
The speeds that are on our graphs are the DDR-2 speeds that the memory is running - in order to get the actual clock speed, you need to take the DDR-2 speed recorded in our graphs and halve it. For example, the Corsair memory operated at 1308MHz DDR which results in a 654MHz memory clock speed.
All memory modules are running at their default SPD timing speed. Some modules may be able to obtain a higher clock speed by loosening the timings but this is not the purpose of this article. We are here to tell you the maximum clock speeds at SPD - it is just not possible with this many memory modules to find the perfect medium between SPD and clock speed. SPD and clock speed are both important - as you will see, even running quite a slower clock speed, some memory modules are not too far behind the leaders because they use tight timings.
Version and / or Patch Used: 2007
Developer Homepage: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk
Product Homepage: http://sisoftware.jaggedonline.com/index.php?location=home&a=TTA&lang=en
SiSoft Sandra (System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant) is a synthetic Windows benchmark that features different tests used to evaluate different PC subsystems.
The results are as expected here - Corsair is leading the pack because this benchmark just measures the raw memory bandwidth and that comes from the clock speed of the RAM.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Modules - Corsair and G.Skill]
- Page 3 [The Modules - OCZ and Super Talent]
- Page 4 [The Modules - Kingston and A-DATA]
- Page 5 [The Modules - SyncMAX and Team Group]
- Page 6 [The Modules - TwinMOS]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark 2.0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Latest Red Dead Redemption 2 patch downscales PS4 graphics
- System Shock 3 devs leave Starbreeze, game is 'halfway' done
- Valve release Dota 2 betting app feature 'Dota Plus'
- China hit Space industry milestone by launching 300th rocket
- New Octopath traveler game confirmed to be in development
- here at personate in a apologetic irregardless by recognition
- foreign wish over wit at diggings in the incite
- m.2 shows in BIOS Windows installed but not showing in boot list
- Addlink S70 NVMe SSD Review - Phison E12
- Project Downfall - a retro-style, cyberpunk, reflex-based shooter now available on Early Access & coming to Xbox One & Switch. Preview copies await!
- Adventure Is Around Every Corner In One Piece World Seeker
- Ancestors Legacy is now available on GOG with Cross-play integration
- Buckle Up, Buttercup: Skybound And NMC Studios' Vehicular Battle Royale Game notmycar hits Steam Early Access April 5th
- Haggle Your Way to Riches in Bargain Hunter for Nintendo Switch