Intel's Breakthroughs and New Technologies
The insane 18 core 36 thread processor will be the first for Intel on the HEDT platform. It will also be the first time a 1 Teraflop processor hits the consumer market. Intel is also adding in support for AVX-512, improving Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0, and boosting DDR4 speeds a bit. The Core i9 series are sure to make things interesting when compared to AMD's Thread Ripper.
Intel's HEDT CPUs are generally very similar to their mainstream CPUs, they just feature more cores and cache. However, this time Intel seems to have made a change to the smart cache hierarchy of the Skylake-X CPUs.
These changes include reducing L3 cache (by 50%) and quadrupling L2 cache to 1MB per core. By increasing the higher level cache (L1 is higher than L2, which is higher than L3) density, Intel is able to keep more data closer to the cores. To be clear, the fastest storage is L1 cache, then L2, L3, DRAM, Optane, NAND, and finally spinning platters (HDDs). Intel's algorithms might be producing lower miss rates than what they might have expected when designing Skylake's cache and it could possibly be the reason for the shift in cache size allocation. L2 cache is said to be more expensive than L3 cache as it's much faster.
There is also one other change, the L3 cache or LLC (lowest level cache) went from being inclusive (meaning it contained all the data in the cache level below it; L2) to non-inclusive, which means it may or may not contain all the data in the cache below it. Intel does seem to be tweaking the "smartness" of their "Smart Cache", and we will test the changes in the future. To be straight, the Kabylake –X processors do not get this cache tweak, and this tweak is not only a departure from Broadwell-X, but also a change from Skylake-S. Intel did go back and tweak the cache architecture; it's not just a change resulting from the shift from Broadwell to Skylake.
All processors on the X299 platform are unlocked, and Intel has added in some overclocking enhancements. They have added memory controller trim voltage control, which I assume means we will be able to change the voltage of the memory controller alone rather than a larger region inside the system agent. Intel has also added the ability to overclock the DMI/PCI-E bus, which was uncoupled from the CPU's BCLK a few generations ago to make BCLK overclocking easier. Intel is continuing to provide its Performance Tuning Protection Plan (PTPP) so you can insure your 18 core monster CPU from the perils of overclocking.
Intel's Turbo boost Max 3.0 has also been improved. While in the past Turbo Boost 3.0 would only boost one core very high, now it can boost your two best cores further up.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- If Anthem's cosmetics fail, paid expansions are likely
- The Divison 2 story sets U.S. capital aflame with chaos
- Lords of the Fallen devs open indie publishing label
- JUMP FORCE leaks images of Dragon Quest and JoJo Characters
- Steam discounts Mortal Kombat franchise, up to 75% off
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019