We had a bit over 24 hours with the Silicon Motion SM2256 R&D board before getting the call letting us know security was on the way. That wasn't enough time to run our more advanced tests or any of our really long tests. We did pick up a new Lenovo T440 for our future notebook power testing platform, but its battery life should take us to around eight hours and we didn't have enough time to get it in either.
We are thankful for getting this early sneak preview of the new SMI SM2256 and new Toshiba A19 TLC flash. If nothing at all, this test proves that TLC flash from Toshiba is competitive with current mainstream SSDs using MLC flash. Time will tell what our longer tests uncover, but I don't think we'll need to wait too long before torturing a retail product with TLC.
SMI really stuck a cord with LDPC since many of us worry about TLC's low endurance ratings, even though most flash manufacturers don't like to talk about them. 24 hours isn't enough to burn through too many P/E cycles, so again, time will tell how well Toshiba TLC can survive in a hostile environment.
Samsung has already had a successful release with TLC flash and we haven't heard of anyone burning the flash up under normal conditions. Just to be clear, we haven't heard of anyone burning the flash up at all so we think TLC is a viable product mainstream to entry-level enthusiast use.
One thing is for certain, though - this flash, and this controller will change the way many people see SSDs. SMI already has several very low-cost SSDs on the market with the company's partners and this flash should drop SSD prices rapidly. Several companies are purging better than average drives for very low prices, because they know TLC is about to hit, and when it does, it will hit hard.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Silicon Motion SM2256 Controller]
- Page 3 [Toshiba A19 3-bit per cell TLC Flash & Shots Fired]
- Page 4 [Silicon Motion SM2256 256GB R&D Board]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Tesla bans new commercial drivers from Supercharger stations
- You can now mine cryptocurrency with your BODY
- Surface Phone rumors surface again: dual OLED displays?!
- Bitcoin flashes past $19,000: could have $20K by Christmas
- Because science: sperm used to deliver cancer drug to tumors
- SAPPHIRE Radeon RX Vega 64 NITRO Review: 3 x 8-pin PCIe?!
- Patriot Viper V570 Blackout Gaming Mouse Review
- Cougar Puri TKL Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series