Thin Sniff, it doesn't really roll off the tongue like Force GT, Vector or 840 Pro, but this drive's lame model number goes to show that it is designed for OEM installations.
I wouldn't be surprised to find this exact drive hitting the market under a different brand, maybe Kingston for their V-Series or another company. The performance is very good even without a DRAM buffer. If Toshiba is able to add a DRAM chip and program the controller to take advantage of it, this drive could be a contender in the higher performance market.
As it sits now, if the price is right, say $190 for the 256GB model, this could be a leader in the low price SSD market. Our tests show it's faster than the SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB, a drive currently selling for $210. It's really too bad Toshiba doesn't have a strong channel presence.
Since this isn't a full retail drive with known pricing, warranty terms and so on, we aren't scoring the Toshiba THNSNF here today. Hopefully at some point in the future this drive will circle back around, either in a notebook we purchase or as a branded product under a different name.
I still think Toshiba would have done well in the retail market, but moves such as those need to start well before a parts are ready to ship.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Toshiba THNSNF256GCSS 256GB SSD]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.