The MSI Lightning based AMD Radeon HD 7970 video card is no doubt one of, if not the best on the market at the moment. As we said in our standalone review, it's not just the overclocking ability of the model, but the mean looks and awesome feature set. MSI know exactly what they are doing here.
There's no denying that if you're looking for a serious HD 7970 CrossFire setup this is one you should be looking at without any doubt in my mind. Sure, it's going to cost you more, but the MSI HD 7970 Lightning cards have no issue showing their worth, especially when you fire up MSI Afterburner and unleash the raw power that's on tap.
I think the biggest surprise from the testing was that adding the second video card into the mix did little when it came to affecting overclocking performance. Normally we'd expect a larger hit than 25MHz on the core. This is again a real testament to the quality of the Lightning cards.
The biggest issue with the cards comes in the form of heat and noise when overclocked this high. We won't poke at this too much, though, as the simple reason is it's a common tradeoff when you start to clock cards this high and run this much voltage through them. It's something you'd need to accept as well.
If you just wanted to get the Lightning cards and do some light overclocking, or none at all and just leave them at the pre-OC speeds, you're not going to be dealing with noise levels as high or temperatures this high. The Lightning cards are all about overclocking, though, and you're going to get the best out of them when you go into MSI Afterburner and play around.
In typical fashion you're going to pay to use a Lightning based video card, but at the same time, though, you're going to get yourself one of the best video cards on the market. The only thing better than a single HD 7970 Lightning is two of them!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Psyonix introduces new cosmetic Rocket Pass system
- Steam gives option to view user accounts 'total spendings'
- Sony launch PlayStation Hits, amazing titles for only $20
- Former Sony boss says cross-play block is 'money' related
- Kingdom Hearts III story re-explained by series of videos
- Asus X401A Laptop will not boot despite several replaced components -- Second attempt
- DDR4-3400 - Ryzen 7 1800x & Ryzen 7 2700x - X370 & X470
- LaCie DJI Co-Pilot 2TB Review
- Dumb question regarding moderator approval
- ASUS ProArt PA27AC Monitor: The Best Workstation Monitor?!
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit