AMD's Radeon X1650XT performed a little worse then we expected, with the pricing putting it more expensive then the GeForce 7600GT, we thought that it would also translate to a slight bump in performance. Unfortunately it doesn't and really ends up leaving us with somewhat of a sour taste in our mouths. There isn't much reason to go and buy a Radeon X1650XT unless you really don't have much money to spend and you just want to play Company of Heroes - and even then we don't doubt nVidia are far away with a driver to increase performance.
GeForce 7900GS and Radeon X1950PRO -we have always said as an out of the box card, the Radeon X1950PRO is the better card as far as pure 3D performance goes. It is consistently faster thanks to the increased core speed, when compared to the GeForce 7900GS. Why nVidia haven't increased the default core is beyond us (as it loves overclocking, a lot!) but it's possible that it will take away from the more expensive GeForce 7950GT sales. The 512MB variant of the Radeon X1950PRO doesn't offer any real performance gains and sits closer to the GeForce 7950GT in terms of price. This particular card we recommend you stay far away from as the GeForce 7950GT manages to beat it in almost every benchmark and offers some overclocking, too.
nVidia are clearly leading at the moment - both GeForce cards sit under that magical number, the GeForce 7600GT under $200 AUD and the GeForce 7900GS under $300 AUD. The Radeon X1950PRO needs a slight price drop to bring it on par with the GeForce 7900GS because at the moment, if you're willing to venture to the dark side and OC, the 7900GS is the best choice.
So, Radeon X1650XT or GeForce 7600GT? GeForce 7600GT is the easy choice in the lower realm of the mid-range segment, without a doubt - it's cheaper and performance is pretty much neck and neck, throughout all of our benchmarks. Radeon X1950PRO or GeForce 7900GS? Don't want to overclock? The X1950PRO is the best option for the high-end mid-range segment - it is faster in almost everything out of the box but as we said, if you're going to overclock and try and get the best value for your money, we would be doing you an injustice to recommend anything other than the GeForce 7900GS from the green team.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Red Team]
- Page 3 [The Green Team]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Lost Coast)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Company of Heroes]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem head compares finished game details to upcoming demo
- Resident Evil 2 Remake 'one-shot demo' hits 2m players
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate goes Hunger Games on Adult Swim
- Get schooled for our 'Night School' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019