Inside the PRIME 13
Removing some of the keycaps, we find the PRIME 13 is backed with Cherry MX Brown switches. They use standard studs on them for easy replacement of the keycaps, and we also see the torsion bars are built in below the top plate and are not exposed.
The keycaps are molded in white plastic first. Once they are cleaned up, they are then coated with black paint, and their function is laser etched in the top. This way, the LEDs under each cap can shine brightly through them.
Removing eleven screws from the bottom of the keyboard will allow the PRIME 13 to come apart. Inside of the aluminum top panel, we find dense foam used to support it near the arrow keys and around the Lock LED lights. The lower section is flat with only a single ridge to support the PCB, along with a few studs here and there to help with that as well.
The PCB color of choice is green in this keyboard. Looking closely shows us clean solder joints on all of the switches, and no remains left behind from the flux.
Sadly, they have painted this Holtek IC with white paint. Due to the limited features and lack of full on gaming support, we cannot imagine this is more than a 16-bit MCU controlling the PRIME 13.
Once reassembled, and powered on, we find the PRIME 13 aglow with white LEDs. They can be turned off, as well as the option to illuminate them in five intensities. We also clicked on the Number lock, the Caps lock, as well as the Scroll Lock; we see that those LEDs are white as well.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Path of Exile launches August 24 on Xbox One
- Mass Effect: Andromeda singleplayer is dead
- Nintendo should have big Switch stockpile for holidays
- Flash shortage may last throughout 2018
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks GLORIOUS in 1080p 60FPS
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Movie Review
- Looking for Lian Li PC-C37 pdf manual as links from Lian Li website are broken
- Aerocool Project 7 P7-C1 Pro Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- corsair vengeance lpx 16gb ddr4-2400 problem on asus x370 pro motherboard
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience
- Thermaltake attends NVIDIA Gamer Connect
- ASRock introduces the X10 IoT router for smart homes