The Z170 OC Formula looks nice in the nude.
If you count the phases this VRM is a 12+4+1+1 phase VRM (VCC + VCCGT+VCCSA+VCCIO). There are four major input rails to the CPU for Z170; VCC (VCore), VCCGT (Graphics core), VCCSA (System Agent), and VCCIO (CPU IO). Counting the phases from the top left to the bottom right, the first single inductor (choke) is in charge of VCCSA, following it are 12 inductors for the CPU VCore and the remaining four are for the VCCGT (graphics). ASRock is using International Rectifier's (now part of Infineon) latest PWM and eight of their doubler/dual driver chips, the IR3598, to double all the PWM's phases to provide 12+4 phases of output for the VCC + VCCGT.
ASRock's Z170 OC Formula uses a much higher phase count digital PWM from International Rectifier instead of the hybrid-digital PWM from Intersil with less true phases. The IR PWM is also better suited for overclocking. ASRock is using their 60A high current inductors as well as a mixture of 12K gold capacitors and a few tantalums and MLCCs for the output filter. Needless to say, this VRM is overkill for Z170, but in some cases overkill is what people want and ASRock is delivering.
ASRock put International Rectifier's latest PWM, the IR35201, in charge of the phases. The IR35201 has two operating modes and ASRock is using the 6+2 phase operation mode, all six phases for the VCC and two phases for the VCCGT are doubled by eight backside IR3598 doublers/dual drivers to 12+4 phases. Each phase consists of a Texas Instruments CSD87350Q5D, which are 25A@90% efficiency NexFETs, and have integrated high-side and low-side MOSFETs in a single package. This is a very powerful VRM design for overclockers. The VCCSA is using a single NexFET and is controlled by a Richtek RT8120 (not pictured), and the VCCIO is using two Advanced Power Electronics AP4034GYT for the high-side and low-side and is using a Richtek RT8120 as the PWM (pictured on the right).
The memory VRM is controlled by a UPI Semiconductor UP1674 (no datasheet), which I would think provides at least two phases of output. The same high quality Texas Instruments CSD87350Q5D NexFETs are used for the memory VRM in a two phase configuration. The memory VRM is enough for any DDR4 arrangement. The Z170 OC Formula also has an external clock generator, an IDT 6V41542NLG, which provides higher BLCK overclocks. Two Texas Instruments HD3SS415 are PCI-E quick switches which switch around all the PCI-E bandwidth system wide.
PRICING: You can find the ASRock Z170 OC Formula for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: The ASRock Z170 OC Formula retails for £223 at Amazon UK.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the Z170 OC Formula]
- Page 3 [ASRock Z170 OC Formula Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [ASRock Z170 OC Formula Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- LG's new speakers have Google Home, Multiroom support
- Resident Evil 7 is a solid return, very positive reviews
- LG's new G6 smartphone looks freakin' beautiful
- Apple's new 5K display has issues with new MacBook Pro
- Nintendo Switch games lineup: a visual guide
- Z170X Gamming 5 - Sata Expansion alternatives
- Gigabyte (Business) Partner Questions
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- Thermaltake reveals new Riing Plus 12 LED RGB radiator fan TT Premium Edition Radiator Fan with Riing Plus RGB Software
- Call of Duty World League (CWL) presented by PlayStation 4 invades Texas with CWL Open Event
- PAX South attendees can play Nintendo Switch before it launches
- Acer unveils versatile and robust TravelMate Spin B1 convertible notebook at BETT 2017
- Team Group Gaming Series, T-FORCE XTREEM took the world record for overall highest frequency DDR5260.8MHz