Geekbench 3 is a processor benchmark that uses single-core and multi performance simulating real-world scenarios.
The W550s again scores rather well in Geekbench single threaded scores, but the W540 takes the lead with double the amount of cores.
PassMark performance test runs 32 tests including CPU, 2D & 3D graphics, disk, and memory tests, to come up with an overall system ranking that allows you to determine how fast your computer is in comparison with other systems.
In this test both systems come out rather close with the W550s taking the lead.
PCMark 8 is the latest version in the series of PC benchmarking tools by Futuremark. It is fully compatible with Windows 8, and can be run under Windows 7.
PCMark8 gives us a full system benchmark that can compare a wide range of applications that a typical user would run on the W550s. In these tests, the NVIDIA Quadro K620M helps a great deal in the graphics area. While the SSD gives a large boost to system related use.
SPECwpc_v1.0.2 is a workstation benchmark that measures key aspects of workstation applications.
These tests do put a huge load on the system and takes ~8 hours to run on this system. SPECwpc puts a heavy load on the GPU.
Even small increases in scores show a big improvement in performance. The two important scores for the W550s are General Operations and Media & Entertainment; these are areas that typically the W550s would be used in. These scores are actually not bad for a mobile workstation and shows that even on location the W540 can do serious number crunching.
BootRacer is an app that will tell you how long your computer takes to boot. It will measure the actual time your PC takes to get to windows boot process, then measure the actual windows OS boot time. This is a free download for personal use and can tell you if your PC is booting slower over time or after you have installed apps.
We ran Bootracer on the W550s after we set everything up, before any other apps were installed. Overtime and use, installing other apps you might find that the laptop might start to slow down or take longer to boot. The best practice is to keep your laptop clean of unwanted applications that affect booting times.
You can see your startup applications by running MSCONFIG from a command line. Then head over to the startup menu, here you can disable startup apps that might be slowing your computer down during the boot process.
There is nothing worse than starting up your laptop and then going to make a pot of coffee because it takes so long to boot. 35 seconds is a fast boot up so the W550s will not keep you waiting. Normal operation would be to just close the lid when finished using the W550s. To resume operation just lift the lid back up and relog back into Windows. This operation is almost instant so we prefer to use this method.
CrystalDiskMark is a well-known benchmark to test your HDD or SSD's.
For an OS drive, the two most important numbers to look at are 4K read & writes. This is what the OS uses the bulk of the time. The speeds of the SSD used in the wW540 are excellent and give the system very fast responses feel to it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Temperatures, Cooling and Noise]
- Page 4 [Bundled Software]
- Page 5 [BIOS]
- Page 6 [Keyboard, TouchPad, Screen and Other User Interface]
- Page 7 [Accessory Port Layout and Upgrade]
- Page 8 [Testing Methodology]
- Page 9 [CPU and Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Power Consumption and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- George Miller still planning two 'Mad Max' sequels
- Call of Duty WWII creatively strips players of power
- Hardware deals: GTX 1050 only $95 & cheapest Ryzen 5
- Instagram reaches 700 million users
- Samsung and LG working on a display with 4 curved sides?
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Synology RT2600ac Wireless Router Review
- Cursor disappearing randomly
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G Review
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives
- Call of Duty: WWII delivers gripping action on global scale
- Nokia partners with Lucasfilm to deliver an immersive behind-the-scenes VR experience of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- New LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 bridges the port gap and delivers massive capacity to streamline creative workflows
- ENERMAX launches D.F. STORM, the 3500RPM fan featuring self-cleaning design