Removing the cover isn't easy and I don't recommend you try it. The cover snaps into place, and is very secure, so removing it can result in damage to the body. You will notice most of the Intel Compute Stick is shielded and heatsinked. Since the device will be in vicinity of TV's and other electronics, it's prudent to try and isolate the PCB from EMI from other devices. The large swatches of aluminum are meant to protect against EMI.
A tiny blower fan is present, during operation it only turns on when needed and is very quiet. Some heat resistant Kapton tape is used to route the wires for the blower fan.
This is the bottom of the device, and there is a battery for the CMOS, as well as another shield/heat sink.
The metal shielding you see all around (the black tape is the underside of the shield) is held down by tiny latches and slots, and some thermal pads are added to cool important areas. On the image on the left, the thermal pads cool down the processor chip as well as a power regulator I will cover down below. On the image to the right, the thermal pad is positioned right on the PCB to cool the back of the processor through the PCB.
The Atom processor is located dead center with 2GB of Samsung DDR3 (H5TC4G63AFR x 4) and a Winbond 64Mbit BIOS ROM on the topside. On the back of the stick a Samsung 32GB eMMC (KLMBG4GEAC) drive is provided, along with the rest of the DDR3.
On the left there is a Realtek RTL8723 which is a WIFI a/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0 wireless adapter. On the right is an X-Power AXP288D, a specialty power management IC designed for Bay Trail and Cherry Trail. It provides six buck converters with different outputs, 14 LDOs and a variety of options to handle all the power management on the stick.
PRICING: You can find the Intel Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC 2GB Windows 8.1 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 2K Games lays out five-year plan, wants one AAA a year
- ASUS hints dual camera in 1st official ZenFone 4 teaser
- Samsung reportedly decides on the Galaxy S9 screen size
- ASUS X399 ROG Zenith Extreme: ThreadRipper BEAST BOARD
- Intel CPU engineer leaves after 20 years
- Lian-Li DK02 Watercooling and dimensions
- ASUS X200 CA 1.0 should camera appear in system in control panel?
- How to upgrade the BIOS to GA-UD23-B3?
- Baby Driver Movie Review
- Asus laptop BIOS does not recognize UBCD-post page is grayed out - can't post
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4