DiskBench - Directory Copy
Version and / or Patch Used: 184.108.40.206
Note: In this test, we use the Lenovo W530 Mobile Workstation and a SuperSpeed S301 SLC 128GB SSD to move a 15GB block of data to and from the target drive. This is part of our real-world test regiment. Roughly 45GB of data resides on the target drive before the '15GB Block' is transferred. The 15GB Block is the same data we built for the Data on Disk Testing and is a mix of compressible and incompressible data.
Over the last few months, we've noticed several manufacturers increasing the aggressiveness of the garbage collection scheme. Plextor has always used aggressive GC, but it seems the new Marvell controllers, both 4- and 8-channel, handle this a bit differently.
In our tests, we use the same amount of time between each test for all of the drives. Sometimes this works out well and sometimes we find abnormalities in performance. When background garbage collection is working, the write performance drops. Normally a drive sees data coming in and suspends background GC. If space is needed right away, foreground garbage collection kicks in to clean up the flash.
We see this happening when recording power during a trace test. It seems the new Marvell controllers used in the M6S, ADATA SP920, and Crucial M550 are not suspending the background GC. Write performance can drop when transferring files to the drive if other write operations preceded the transfer. We'll talk about this more on the next page.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- HTC's new One X10 teased, a new budget 5.5-inch phone
- Nintendo Switch may use 4GB LPDDR4 1600MHz RAM
- 'Never Go Back' with our 'Jack Reacher' Blu-ray giveaway
- Horizon Zero Dawn: solid 30FPS on the PS4 Pro
- AMD Ryzen explained: motherboards, CPUs, and more
- Changing Device ID
- Z170M Pro4S underperforming RAM / UEFI bug
- PC may end up in a reboot cycle from cold boot.
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming G1 M.2 SSD Supported?
- Asus PRIME B250-PLUS Integated Graphics issue
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Partners with WPGI womens Esports league