Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Coming in at $769.99 at the time of writing, the MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB isn't cheap by any standard. Only two GTX 780s come in more expensive than it, and both are from EVGA with water blocks. At the end of the day, though, performance talks and at the moment the MSI GTX 780 Lightning is a fantastic video card. Against the more expensive TITAN, we'd choose it every time.
The real problem lays in the coming weeks as we see what AMD bring to the table with its new R9 290X. Both the price of the new model and the performance are going to be so important. Along with that, the overclocking aspect of the card is also going to be important, which is something that we haven't looked at on any of the R series video cards yet.
Outside of the actual performance numbers, though, we've got a really well built card, which is exactly what you would expect not just from a Lightning based card, but just an MSI one in general. MSI really do put together some amazing video cards, and this is one is no exception.
No matter what, though, the MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB is going to continue to have a place for people. If you want to go down the path of an NVIDIA card, and want something special, this is going to be the kind of video card you buy - especially if you don't want to spend the money associated with the TITAN.
The MSI GTX 780 Lightning, while catering for the most extreme overclocker, is also an excellent option for people who have no intention of ever removing the heatsink. It seems a little silly to not overclock this model with the help of Afterburner, because it's really what it's designed to do. The simple fact, though, is that MSI offer us an awesome overclock out of the box, with a massive boost to the core, which brings with it a really strong bump in performance.
If you don't ever overclock the card, you can still feel happy with the fact that you're buying what is probably one of the best quality GTX 780s on the market that is going to perform extremely well out of the box. Testing the model, though, does certainly wet our taste buds as we wait to see what AMD is going to bring to the table over the next several weeks. Stay tuned!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 21 [Temperature Test]
- Page 22 [Sound Test]
- Page 23 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 24 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Monster Hunter XX coming to Nintendo Switch
- Destiny 2 uses hybrid servers, P2P and peer-to-client
- Dreamcast's Seaman game is getting a sequel
- Only 37% of active PS4 users bought PS Plus
- Capcom wants to resurrect old IPs
- Free Paypal Money Adder Online Tool Legit 2017
- Prey benchmarked: Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060
- ADATA AI910 Lightning Card Reader Plus Review
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Benchmarked: CPU & GPU War
- NIC not working after BIOS corruption (ASUS X202E)
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017