BeQuiet Shadow Rock 2 CPU Cooler
Staring the Shadow Rock 2 right in the fan, it is easy to see that this Silent Wings fan is a great choice, since it covers the entire cooler, and while currently sitting a bit low, it should offer a fair chance of the fins behind it to get efficiently ridded of their heat.
From the side of the Shadow Rock 2, you can see that BeQuiet has set up the cooler to have the fans blow through the pipes, not along them. While you can easily place the fan on any side of this 51 fin stack, but from my testing, I found it doesn't matter thermally which side the fan is on.
This side of the cooler is just like all the others, but without the fan in the way this time, it doesn't block the view of the heat pipes as they start out very close, are gently bent, and are then evenly spaced in the fin array.
Two things I want to cover about the Shadow Rock 2 outside of the fins and their design is the base top that has a passive array of fins incorporated into it, and you should take notice of how the fans clip into the grooves where the fins are still flat, each side has this exact section to apply them to.
As the cooler is assembled from the factory, if I were to install it in the typical fashion for any motherboard, you can see the name won't read correctly inside of the chassis, but this can easily be changed. I do, however, like the clean look of the aluminum top plate and pipe caps used in this design.
I wanted to get this image, not so much for the base of the cooler, but to finally give you a better look at the fin shapes and the saw toothed pattern found on all four sides. The wave shape allows the fan some room to build up speed, and the jagged edges help to create turbulence. Things we know will help the lower CFM fans carry their weight.
As for the connection between the copper heat pipes and the aluminum fins, the Shadow Rock 2 has the fins press fit over the pipes. I also like the full circle of fins around the pipes where others leave holes or gaps, here things are in very close tolerances to take full effect of the heat transfer out of the pipes.
As the pipes leave the Nickel plated base, it is easy to see remains of the soldering process used to mount the pipes into the base plate assembly. Again this is currently the best method to use, and with all things considered, it seems that this cooler should have no issues ridding itself of heat from the CPU.
Using the supplied tube of paste, it is set on the base plate to show off the finish that is left. As you can see, there is a mirror polish applied before it gets plated, and this surface is flat and level, all the way to the corners.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [BeQuiet Shadow Rock 2 CPU Cooler]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 7 [Test System and Thermal Results]
- Page 8 [Noise Level Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- For Honor PC requirements revealed
- Take a closer look at the Xbox One's 28nm APU die
- New images of the upcoming LG G6 leaked
- COD: Infinite Warfare - best-selling game of 2016 in US
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni