Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Surprisingly, SanDisk doesn't go into a lot of detail about the new Ultra Plus SSD on their website. From reading the description we see that most potential buyers will see this as just another SSD and be oblivious to some of the really innovative features this drive packs under the hood.
Before we dive in and make this just another review, let's talk about SanDisk's new eX2 ABL MLC NAND flash. We've known for a while now that flash can work in different modes. MLC doesn't only have to work with 2-bits in each cell, it's possible for the controller to tell the flash to write just one bit into each cell to increase performance - in the past we've called this "performance mode" from another drive manufacturers. SanDisk has taken the spare area of the NAND and turned it into 'kind of SLC'. The SLC-like area is used by the Marvell 88SS9175 controller to write random data, typically very small file writes. SanDisk calls this SLC like area "nCache". The technology is very cool and innovative, but SanDisk isn't the only company using it. Remember, we said we had a large number of drives arrive before CES.
Paired with the nCache equipped NAND is a Marvell 9275 controller, a new 4-channel version of Van Gogh. We've heard this controller referred to as Van Gogh Lite a couple of times now, but we haven't found much online about it.
The SanDisk marketing specs show three capacity sizes, 64GB, 128GB and the model we're looking at today, 256GB. Newegg lists the 128GB and 256GB models now for $109.99 and $219.99 respectively.
Unlike the SanDisk Extreme, SanDisk ships this product with a desktop adapter bracket, SATA cable and 7mm to 9.5mm stick on adapter. On the SanDisk website, we also found an additional kit priced at $34.99 and it includes data migration software, a USB to SATA adapter cable, desktop adapter bracket, screws, screwdriver and a SATA cable. The Ultra Plus ships with a three year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - BootRacer]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Jon Rettinger: Apple is 'boring', 'stopped innovating years ago'
- Carpool Karaoke fan? Yeah, Apple signs 16 episodes for Apple Music
- Kickstart a lucrative tech career with 1000+ online courses
- Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games now on PC, overpriced, poorly ported
- Nintendo NX might be transforming hybrid handheld, not a console
- D-Link DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Asrock z77 Extreme 6 Ram Overclocking Stuck at 2000mhz
- MDD BP5e 480GB M.2 SATA III SSD Review
- ASRock Beebox-S (Intel Core i5-6200U) Mini PC Review
- AMD Positioning Itself to Become a Commanding Force in Rendering
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio