Topower should be a familiar name to many in the PC industry. For years they have produced quality power supplies, cases and more for computer enthusiasts. Several companies have turned to Topower to design and produce power supplies over the years and many often simply rebrand Topower's power supplies as their own. We've seen this twice lately with the Mushkin Enhanced Joule 700W and 800W models as these are simply Topower's Nano Series power supplies with different labels.
Today we are taking a look at the first 80Plus Gold rated power supply from Topower. The Topower TOP-1000WG also happens to be the largest power supply that the company offers in the Nano Series. It promises to deliver up to 1000W of power, features a quad-12V rail design and boasts quite a selection of connectors so that you can make good use of the full 1000W.
Let's start by taking a look at some of the specs and seeing how strong the TOP-1000WG appears on paper.
Specifications, Availability and Pricing
Topower provides plenty of power on the minor rails with both the 3.3V and 5V being rated for 30A each and a combined load of 150W. 12V power is delivered by four individual rails capable of 19A each and a combined load of 76A. It would be nice to see these rails capable of a little more power. Several of today's top of the line GPU's can each pull more than each of these rails provide and some of the rails share loads with other devices. While this should be sufficient for a majority of users out there, a few might find that the individual rails on the TOP-1000WG just aren't strong enough to handle their individual needs.
The TOP-1000WG certainly isn't the most feature rich 1kW unit that we've taken a look at, but it has a majority of the features we check for. Almost the full suite of protections are included with the exception of over temperature protection. Topower decided to natively wire all of the cables for the TOP-1000WG, but they are all sleeved well. Unfortunately the unit is not rated for 100% continuous output at 50C, but the unit does boast an 80Plus Gold efficiency rating.
Topower has excellent market penetration with their power supplies and the TOP-1000WG can be found very easily. Newegg lists the power supply shipped for $171.99. However, some crafty searching will let you grab the 1000W unit for about $161 shipped. Topower warranties the TOP-1000WG for a period of three years. While this isn't quite as long as we would like to see for a modern day power supply, it is certainly better than a one year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Existing BioShock owners will get free remastered versions on PC
- Maximize your online experience with VPN Forever
- BioShock trilogy remaster officially announced
- AMD details its Radeon RX 400 series naming system
- AMD Radeon RX 480 review roundup
- Updated BIOS on E3C226D2I now can't boot from USB
- GIGABYTE X99-Designare EX (Intel X99) Motherboard Review
- Synology DS916 Four-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- AMD Radeon RX 480 Video Card Review - Starting a Rebellion From $199
- USB speed differences between various motherboards and BIOSses
- AMD launches the Radeon Rebellion with the Radeon RX 480 video card, available now
- SAPPHIRE launches next generation Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 video card
- Be Quiet! announces the Dark Base 900 case
- Western Digital launches world's fastest 256GB microSD Card
- MSI readies B150M Mortar Arctic & B150M Bazooka Plus motherboards