When we first got a chance to overclock the GEFORCE GTX 660 Ti, we didn't get the chance to play with stuff like voltages and while we achieved some strong performance, we knew once we had the ability to play around with voltages and all the other fun stuff, we'd see even more performance.
Today you can see that giving us the ability to adjust those voltages has really given the new model from NVIDIA a chance to breathe with some awesome performance gains being seen. I think some of the most interesting numbers come from when we compare our overclocked numbers today to the reference clocked version of the video card. Often we saw numbers move away from that 60 FPS area and instead move into the 70s making sure that gameplay is extremely smooth.
While the MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition is indeed the first retail GTX 660 Ti we've tested, the previous track record from not only MSI, but the Power Edition series, tells us that it is going to make it one of those video cards that stand out from the pack for all the right reason. With over 1200MHz on the core via boost and a massive 7000MHz QDR memory clock, we ultimately see fantastic performance.
Of course the GTX 660 Ti isn't without its weakness and we continue to see NVIDIA struggle at the higher resolution benchmarking when compared to its AMD counterpart. The new HD 7970 GHz Edition from AMD has done a really good job of helping cement that high resolution performance crown. While the GTX 660 Ti is of course a cheaper option at around the $300 - $330 mark, even with a massive overclock, we don't see those 2560 x 1600 numbers that we'd like to see. A lot of this is of course due to the fact we're dealing with that smaller 192-bit memory bus. This compares to the GTX 670 and GTX 680 which carries a 256-bit one and the HD 7900 based cards which carry an even more impressive 384-bit memory bus.
We're really seeing a lot more back and forth with AMD and NVIDIA at the moment than we expected. First we saw AMD come out with price drops to battle NVIDIA and then we saw the GHz Edition of the HD 7970. Alongside that we've also seen them revamp the HD 7950 with a new higher clocked version.
In the end, the person that wins is you, as more and more choices come to the market, they hit a more aggressive price point. It's good to see NVIDIA is filling out the price bracket with the GTX 600 series and the upcoming GTX 660 and GTX 650 will really help NVIDIA with a strong top to bottom setup for this generation. If you're looking at spending around $300, though, you'll be hard pressed to turn away from the new GTX 660 Ti, especially when you consider the overclocking power of the new Power Edition version that manages to impress.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Overclocking]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel next-gen Xeon: 59% faster, up to 6TB Optane RAM
- Facebook Live goes social with Live videos with friends
- OnePlus 5 will feature Snapdragon 835, confirms CEO
- Divinity Original Sin 2 launches this September
- Unity valued at $2.8 billion
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Benchmarked: CPU & GPU War
- NIC not working after BIOS corruption (ASUS X202E)
- Logitech Harmony Elite Advanced Remote Control Review
- C2750D4I won't get passed initializing 55
- Asus active pen (for T303UA)
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017