I hate this driver. I really ran into so many problems with it. The first run with the HD 6970 saw some massive performance drops. Even doing a reinstall of the drivers didn't change it the first time. The second time I did the reinstall it finally worked.
Across the board the HD 6870 seemed to cop a bit of performance loss and at first I thought it was just because of something not going well in the initial setup, but I reinstalled the drivers, re downloaded the drivers and retested the card again after testing the HD 5870, and no matter what, performance was constantly down.
Outside of all that, I couldn't get into the Catalyst Control Center, as each time it said that no ATI card was present in the system. Although, if you check GPU-Z it says the 11.2s are installed, and if you actually check the performance it's pretty much spot on with both the HD 5870 and HD 6970.
I can't remember the last time I told someone not to bother with a driver release from AMD, but this is honestly one I would be avoiding. I'll still be using only up to the 11.1s in future AMD reviews, at least until the 11.3s come out.
I'm not sure if these issues are just specific to me, but to be honest, when most people have complained about driver issues, I've never seen the problem, and I test a lot of cards and a lot of drivers. This time, though, it's just no dice.
I'd probably wait for the 11.3s and stick to what you're currently using this time around.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Watch Dogs 2 updated on the PC, long list of fixes
- Del Toro: F*ck Konami, killing Silent Hills was moronic
- NBA is being aired in 4K in the US this weekend
- Ubisoft: PC-like consoles was a 'good decision'
- 8 minutes of new Prey gameplay footage released
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset