I hate this driver. I really ran into so many problems with it. The first run with the HD 6970 saw some massive performance drops. Even doing a reinstall of the drivers didn't change it the first time. The second time I did the reinstall it finally worked.
Across the board the HD 6870 seemed to cop a bit of performance loss and at first I thought it was just because of something not going well in the initial setup, but I reinstalled the drivers, re downloaded the drivers and retested the card again after testing the HD 5870, and no matter what, performance was constantly down.
Outside of all that, I couldn't get into the Catalyst Control Center, as each time it said that no ATI card was present in the system. Although, if you check GPU-Z it says the 11.2s are installed, and if you actually check the performance it's pretty much spot on with both the HD 5870 and HD 6970.
I can't remember the last time I told someone not to bother with a driver release from AMD, but this is honestly one I would be avoiding. I'll still be using only up to the 11.1s in future AMD reviews, at least until the 11.3s come out.
I'm not sure if these issues are just specific to me, but to be honest, when most people have complained about driver issues, I've never seen the problem, and I test a lot of cards and a lot of drivers. This time, though, it's just no dice.
I'd probably wait for the 11.3s and stick to what you're currently using this time around.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Batman VR is finalised but Rocksteady wants to move on
- Pasadena, California to tax streaming services
- New scoop on latest Destiny DLC 'Days of Iron' amour
- Boost your resume with two in-demand tech certifications
- Nintendo NX handheld hybrid GPU CPU upgrade attachment
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Lian Li O Series Multiple Expansion card support
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now