There has been a lot of press on the P55 and Lynnfield as a whole; for the most part it has been good. However, there will always be bad with the good.
Recently I read that there are people that are concerned by bandwidth limitations built into the DMI on the P55. The major concern is that it is not "future proof". Well okay, nothing is you can use this argument against anything in the technology world. Simple put in all of the tinkering and testing I have run, I have not seen any mainstream application that can impact the bandwidth available with the P55 and Lynnfield. Notice that I said mainstream; that is because this is what P55 and Lynnfield are for.
Yes, I can bury the board and CPUs under the load of a 60 frame LightWave 3D 4k render. But if you are looking to run LightWave renders you are more than likely not looking at P55 and Lynnfield to do this type of work. P55 is aimed squarely at the hearts, minds and wallets of the mainstream user.
Intel has included a high-end to this segment that overlaps existing CPUs (most of which are going to be EOL'd soon) but this is to give the mainstream market a viable upper level without forcing them into the much higher priced Core i7 9xx series and X58 boards.
In short P55 coupled with Lynnfield represents an important step in Nehalem's growth. It offers the performance benefits of Nehalem at an easy to reach price-point. The FDI and DMI setups allows for great flexibility with what this platform is capable of and what we can expect from Intel and the new Core line-up in the future. I have to say I am impressed with this new design, not only for the performance that it is capable of at the price/power it requires, but also for the possibilities it offers for future development.
For the first time in a long time, I am excited about future CPUs and chipsets.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung Galaxy S8 officially discounted by up to $300
- Qualcomm's Snapdragon 836 will debut with the Pixel 2
- Samsung to produce chips for the iPhone 9, LG batteries
- Facebook is working on a modular smartphone
- Samsung's 1st dual camera phone has an Always On Display
- Bloody AL90 Blazing Laser Gaming Mouse Review
- Cryptocurrency mining deflates, used GPUs hit eBay
- G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3600 32GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock X299 Taichi Motherboard Review
- Transcend ESD220C 120GB Portable SSD Review
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4