For the most part, more is better. But the thing about this equation is while more is going to be faster, does the extra speed warrant the price increase that is going to come with the upgrade? - The release of the X58 chipset saw two new standards for memory capacity; because of the extra module included we now see memory kits in 3GB and 6GB.
3GB versus 6GB is a bit of a weird one. With the older dual channel chipsets we saw memory come in 2GB and 4GB form and with Vista the extra 2GB of memory was extremely helpful. But moving past that didn't really show us a whole lot more improvement.
If you didn't have an x64 bit version of Vista, though, you were only using around 3GB of your 4GB memory kit. But even this yielded some pretty impressive performance increases over the 2GB kit, which makes us wonder; with 3GB kits being a standard for X58 systems, is that more than enough memory to keep one satisfied?
Today we intend to find out. On the next page we will have a closer look at the test system we're using today and how exactly we're going to see what the extra memory does for us. DDR3 Tri-Channel kits aren't cheap and if we have the chance to save you some money by getting less RAM, you might be able to get yourself a better graphics card that could yield a more noticeable performance gain.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and wPrime]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - EVEREST Ultimate Edition]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sciencemark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- How Fallout 4's perk system might work
- The fully-optioned Tesla Model X electric SUV costs a huge $143,750
- Toshiba announces 12.5' Satellite Radius 12 2-in-1 convertible laptop
- Halo 5 opening cinematic teases a bunch of stuff you can't do in-game
- The new Nexus 5 will feature 1080p display, 6-core CPU and USB Type-C
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- Im happy I now signed up
- ASUSTOR AS5004T Four-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015