This Is How You Cool Vega
The entire interposer that houses Vega and HBM2 is filled with some of the most advanced GPU technology the planet has to offer right now on a consumer graphics card, and I think we have some serious efficiency issues with Vega which sees voltage and temperatures that are through the roof.
My air-cooled Radeon RX Vega 64 easily sits at 85C all day long when it's under 100% load, while the fan spins at 5000RPM to get it down to 70-75C. The liquid-cooled version of the card runs at less than 50C, which is a big surprise... so I was expecting the ASUS cards to handle 100% GPU load at less than 70C. I didn't even think about the improved fans on the ROG Strix RX Vega 64, which was the huge surprise for me.
The ASUS ROG Strix RX Vega 64 can sit at 100% load and have its fans at somewhere in the 80% range, and it's still quiet when compared to the Radeon RX Vega 64 reference card from AMD. The fan on that thing is just so crazy at 100%; I can't bear to use it like that. ASUS on the other hand, do as well as they can with the issue at hand: Vega. It runs HOT, and even with the triple-fan cooler on the ROG Strix RX Vega 64, we're still looking at temperatures that hit 75-80C.
You're going to want plenty of airflow in your system, and might want to tweak those fan profiles to have the triple-fan cooler working a little harder so that you can game with less heat being pumped into the room. During summer, you're not going to want 80C+ of hot air blowing into your room. Adjust the fan profiles, and you'll be fine, with temperatures in the 60-65C range.
PRICING: You can find the product discussed for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon`s website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK`s website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada`s website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Detailed Specs]
- Page 3 [Cooling Tech - Vega With Way Better Air-Cooling]
- Page 4 [Detailed Look]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 1080p]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 1440p]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 4K]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3440x1440]
- Page 10 [Overclocking & Performance Analysis]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get schooled for our 'Night School' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Visceral's Star Wars game was basically Star Wars Uncharted
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Administrators and moderators
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media