Today I'm looking at a server motherboard from TYAN, a subsidiary of MiTAC, a well-known multinational corporation. The S7076 utilizes the Intel C612 chipset and is not focused on GPU computing as much as it is focused on storage. The modern X99 chipset is almost equivalent to the C612, but the C612 is more targeted towards enterprise with features such as trusted execution. The TYAN S7076 supports two Xeon Haswell-EP E5-2600 V3 series processors and supports the top of the line 18-core model. This review will utilize two E5-2683 v3 processors, which are 14 core/ 28 threads with a 2GHz base and 3GHz Turbo clock at 120W TDP.
I will look at this board not from the point of view of an enterprise developer for a multinational corporation or government entity, but rather as a standalone server for a smaller business, which requires a flexible server capable of handling a multitude of tasks with the latest software. These days with increased demand for converged solutions, server hardware has to be able to facilitate many things such as an email server on the same physical server used for database management.
Server hardware is much more important that it might have been before. In the past if your email server went down then your SQL server would probably still be functioning, but now if a converged solution goes down, it could have a significant impact on the bottom line since each server is virtualized on a single physical server. This review will take a look at general performance but focus on design and utility of the motherboard.
There are two versions of the S7076, and we are looking at the "E" version with four extra mini-SAS HD connectors. The TYAN S7076 supports 512GB/1TB/2TB of DDR4 RDIMM/LRDIMM/LDRIMM 3DS RAM. One CPU will provide all of its PCI-E lanes to two open PCI-E 8x slots, an OCP slot for a Mezz card (not included), and to a proprietary SATA Mezz card (not included). The other CPU will provide its PCI-E lanes to four mini-SAS HD ports with NVMe support. The PCH provides 2x SATA 6Gb/s ports and 2x mini SAS (6Gb/s) with RAID support. Two 1Gbit RJ-45 NICs are provided by an Intel I350-AM2 controller. There are also two back panel USB 3.0 ports and an internal header for USB 3.0 and another for USB 2.0. The board is in the EATX form factor, but beware of PCI-E spacing as the board will not fit a long graphics adapter, but it should comfortably fit a PCI-E slot based storage device.
The TYAN S7076 S7076GM2NRE is listed for $395 which is quite affordable for a dual socket LGA 2011-V3 motherboard.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Neo Geo retro console possibly on the way
- Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY GLOBAL $14 ($12.36 after code)
- Nintendo R&D experimenting with new games hardware
- Halo 6 might hit 4K 60FPS
- Arena brawler 'My Hero One's Justice' announced for Switch
- Can I install a Soundblaster THX TruStudio Pro Snd Crd in my GA-170X-Gaming 7 MoBo?
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X Review
- FSP CMT510 RGB Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- I'm need help from GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI
- Investigation: m.2 Heatsinks, are they worth it?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit