Samsung's SSD's are completely in-house products. Samsung flash, Samsung controller, and Samsung DRAM. Not needing any third party components gives Samsung an inherent advantage over most of the competition. In addition, Samsung currently enjoys a technological advantage with superior 3D flash.
HDD like capacity with true SSD performance. You wanted it, and now it's here. Admittedly these drives are 10x the cost of a comparable capacity HDD, but they also deliver at least 10x the performance. As always, you get what you pay for. The 2TB 850 EVO and PRO perform about the same. The good news is, capacity aside, the performance of both of these SSD's is a cut above the competition. We love that Samsung chose to engineer a new controller to insure that their 2TB SSD's would perform at a high level.
Looking at performance, we found the 2TB 850 EVO performs at about the same level as a 500GB-1TB 850 EVO, with the exception of heavy workloads where we find it performs much better. What we weren't expecting was the nice performance boost we saw from the 2TB 850 PRO in comparison to the smaller capacity 850 PRO's. Random 4K QD1 write performance in particular, has been increased considerably with the new MHX controller. As you know, we believe the 850 EVO is the fastest line of consumer SATA SSD's, although that line has become blurred by the 2TB 850 PRO because overall, it is just as fast as the 850 EVO. As intended by Samsung, both models have their own advantages. The 2TB EVO has the price advantage, at $799 it's $200 cheaper than the 2TB 850 PRO. The 850 Pro has the advantage of double the endurance and a 10-year warranty.
Our experience while running both of these drives as our OS volume was outstanding. I would have to say the best SATA experience I've had to date. Does 3D flash make a difference? You bet it does, you can feel the difference. Everything is faster, sometimes considerably faster. If you want even more performance from these SSD's, Samsung has that coming in mid-August with Magician caching software that will support both 2TB drives.
Samsung 850 EVO and PRO 2TB
- Highest capacity
- Best endurance
- Low power requirement
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||97%|
|Bundle and Packaging||97%|
|Value for Money||98%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||98%|
The Bottom Line: Samsung does it yet again, with massive capacity and even more performance. Samsung's 850 Pro and EVO 2TB drives are the fastest consumer SATA SSD's we've tested to date.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (Trace Based OS Volume) - PCMark Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - Max IOPS, Disk Response & Transfer Rates]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset announced for June 5th
- A Way Out official PC requirements released, launch trailer
- Dark Souls Remastered leaked images, Solaire amiibo spotted
- Possible new Fornite maps photographed at GDC 2018
- Metro Exodus will rock NVIDIA RTX real-time raytracing tech
- Buy (10 Pieces) Apple iPhone X Brand New Unlocked 64GB $7,490
- Corsair ML140 PRO RGB 140mm Magnetic Levitation Review
- AMD Ryzen Master Utility Memory Access Mode Greyed Out ASROCK x399
- خدمه عملاء تكييفات باور & 01225025360 _01014723434 & اعطال باور
- ارقام تليفونات صيانه ال جى ( 01014723434 _ 01225025360 ) تكييفات ا
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit