Using the Veolo 4K Media Player
I binge watch a helluva lot of TV, so I consumed hours upon hours of TV episodes and movies on the Veolo 4K media player. Everything from the latest episodes of my favorite shows like The Walking Dead, Person of Interest, Boardwalk Empire, Workaholics, and so much more.
During my testing, I found that the best part of the experience was definitely the remote control. Everyone would think that it's the media player that is the center of the experience, but I don't think so. Personally, I think it comes down to the UI - which AC Ryan has nailed - and the remote control. First, you can't do anything with a media player without using the remote control, and secondly, if the UI is unintuitive, you're not going to get anywhere, fast.
Starting with the remote control, I found the lack of buttons completely freeing. I wasn't stumbling to find a button to get somewhere, as there are only a handful of buttons in total across the remote. This made navigation through the menus super easy, which is something I really respect from AC Ryan. They simplify a sometimes difficult experience, making the experience completely satisfying.
As for the UI - I've been a fan of AC Ryan's stylish user interface for years now, but the use of Android for the Veolo 4K media player is just something else. You have the option of using a totally different application to play back your content, which is something you simply can't do on most other competing media players.
I found myself using the SPMC application, because the UI itself was even better than the stock MX Player (that I actually use on my tablet when I'm travelling). The SPMC application is identical to that of XBMC, which I used years and years ago now on my modified original Xbox console.
Total Lack of 4K Content - Most of the Time
This is something I've talked about to friends and colleagues within the industry - where the hell is all the 4K content? Netflix should be releasing as much as it can in 4K, and so should the big movie studios. YouTube is finally pushing toward allowing 4K content on its video sharing service, but for the most part, 4K video is nowhere to be found.
For our 4K video testing, I was using video that I shot from my Sony Xperia Z2 smartphone (and its 20.7-megapixel rear-facing camera that is capable of shooting 4K video) and my GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition, which also shoots 4K video.
I watched back a bunch of my footage from various tech events I've been to using the GoPro camera, as well as a bunch of videos that I've captured on my Xperia Z2. The Veolo 4K media player plays it back perfectly, without a problem. 4K content can be consumed on the Veolo 4K media player in such a way that it's just a matter of sliding back into your couch and pressing some buttons - voila, 4K content.
The lack of 4K content isn't AC Ryan's problem, this is the content provider's problem. It's a problem with the market, and 4K TVs, too. But, if you have 4K-capable cameras, then the Veolo 4K media player doubles as an awesome media player, and 4K playback device.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Pricing & Availability]
- Page 2 [Box Contents, A Closer Look & The Remote Control]
- Page 3 [Interface & Setup]
- Page 4 [Using the AC Ryan Veolo 4K Media Player - Where You At, 4K?]
- Page 5 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem made $3.5 million in microtransactions
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Cuphead's should join the roster
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced