Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD
Samsung stepped away from the black and orange color scheme slightly with the 850 Pro. The black remains, but the orange is now closer to red than orange. The drive looks really good in a case with an ASUS ROG board.
This is the first time we received a full retail drive with the final production retail package. Not a lot has changed other than the warranty shows 10 year limited. On my last trip to Fry's in Silicon Valley, we found the 850 Pro drives on the shelf. We spent some time looking at the retail packages on all the SSDs at the brick and mortar store. A few of the drives listed performance numbers like the 850 Pro. Comparing the information on the packages, we think Samsung does a really good job showing the performance and features on the retail package.
The retail package includes the SSD, two paper manuals, a pair of stickers, and a software disk with the software. You can also download the software via Samsung's website for the latest version.
The drive is a 2.5" form factor with a 7mm z-height.
The label on the back shows the model and serial number. The case is made from machined aluminum.
Inside the case we found a very small PCB that could be used in a 1.8" form factor should Samsung decide to build a smaller drive. Between the case and the PCB was a piece of thermal transfer material that was almost as large as the circuit board.
Samsung makes all of the components used on the 850 Pro, from the controller to the flash and the DRAM.
The 850 Pro uses the same MEX controller that Samsung used on the 840 EVO.
Buffering the page table data is low power DDR2 DRAM. The 512GB model uses 512GB of DRAM.
The 512GB 850 Pro uses eight V-NAND flash packages, four on each side of the PCB.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD]
- Page 3 [Samsung Software Package]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 9 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Zombieland 2 confirmed, all actors/writers return for sequel
- AORUS announces its first PSUs, RGB is missing... for now
- Ferrari designer building $2 million electric hypercar
- Opera is the first browser with a built-in crypto wallet
- Samsung announces 8Gb LPDDR5, ready for the world of 5G/AI
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit