We didn't spend a lot of time talking about the 3D V-NAND in this article or RAPID Mode. We just published a very detailed V-NAND whitepaper and RAPID Mode was discussed in detail in our initial reviews.
The 850 Pro is a complicated product made easy by its performance. When a drive is as fast as the Samsung 850 Pro, we don't have to go into a lot of detail about the technology. The 850 Pro 512GB is one of the fastest SSDs in this capacity size, it offers the best warranty and flash endurance.
The 3D V-NAND technology is cool, but do we really care about the compound structure of the tires of a new Ferrari? Not really, we just know it's fast and fun, and that's what really counts. The 850 Pro check all of the boxes for security, AES 256-bit for TCG Opal 2.0 and eDrive, it has RAPID Mode for DRAM caching of the data, and offers a guaranteed 150TB of write endurance. The facts just all line up, and the end product is impressive.
I think of all the capacity sizes Samsung offers the 850 Pro in, the 512GB size is the sweet spot for performance, capacity and cost. At $399.99 at the time of writing, the 512GB model costs a bit more than the value centric SSDs on the market in the same size, but delivers enough value to warrant paying the higher price.
For most enthusiasts, this will be the last SATA based SSD you buy for your main system. The 850 Pro will outlast your other components, and then when it's time to upgrade, we'll be several generations deep in M.2 PCIe based technology.
If you are shopping for the best and don't mind spending a bit more to do something that doesn't need replacing for a few years, then the 850 Pro 512GB from Samsung is for you.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD]
- Page 3 [Samsung Software Package]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 9 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Power Testing]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Can I install a Soundblaster THX TruStudio Pro Snd Crd in my GA-170X-Gaming 7 MoBo?
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and Ryzen 5 2600X Review
- FSP CMT510 RGB Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- I'm need help from GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit