Looking at the card, you can see even though we're dealing with a new model, there's nothing too different to previous MSI cards we've looked at which use the Twin Frozr IV cooler.
The cooler as always looks great, though, you can see the two big fans and the massive heatsink behind, which has a couple of heat pipes coming out the bottom of the card. It will be interesting to see how the new cooler goes with the new R series cards from AMD.
Taking a look around the card, you can see that power comes in the form of two 6-pin PCIe power connectors. Next to that, you can see we've got a BIOS switch that allows us to switch around two BIOS that are installed. Staying across the top of the card, but moving to the front, you can see a single CrossFire connector.
Finally turning the corner, we have the I/O side of things. Here we've got two Dual-Link DVI connectors - one in the form of DVI-D, and the other in the form of DVI-I. We've also got a HDMI and DisplayPort connector.
Out of the box, the MSI R9 270X 2GB Twin Frozr Gaming OC carries with it a core clock speed of 1120MHz. This is up from the default 1050MHz. As for the 2GB of GDDR5 goes, like we see most the time from MSI, it remains unchanged at 5600MHz QDR.
If you choose to install the Gaming App, though, two more settings are available on top of this. You can run Silent Mode, which changes the fan profile, but pulls the core clock down to 1050MHz. The other option is Gaming Mode which pushes the core click down to 1080MHz.
Why you would want to run lower than the 1120MHz is beyond us, especially considering the Twin Frozr has always proven to be an extremely capable cooler, and outside of abnormal noise levels, it should be fine. Of course we'll see later in the review if that's the case or not.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Fire Strike]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro Last Light]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 20 [Benchmarks - Battlefield 4 Open Beta]
- Page 21 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 22 [Temperature Test]
- Page 23 [Sound Test]
- Page 24 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 25 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- God of War's director confirms viewable Death Stranding demo
- New Street Fighter V character 'Kage' image leaked early
- Intel's new Xeon W-3175X: 28C/56T could cost up to $4000
- 3DMark's ray tracing benchmark: RTX 2080 Ti scores 51FPS
- It costs $600 to unlock everything in Red Dead Online
- light is flashing slow
- Core HT 231D - replacement CPU fan
- ASRock z390 Taichi v1.80 BIOS SSD issues
- ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 and Intel AC 9260 WiFi card
- Areca ARC-8050U3 USB-C RAID DAS Review
- Symbaroum: Yndaros - The Darkest Star expansion Released Today
- Enjoy the Winter Season of R.O.H.A.N.: Blood Feud
- Warlords Awakening release surprises for Christmas
- The Switchblade Christmas Update Is Out Now
- Great Britain & Ireland DLC Out Now For Railway Empire