ASR-72405 and SAS HD Cabling
The ASR-72405 comes in a half-length full-height form factor and measures 4.198" x 6.6". This adapter provides 24 native SAS/SATA ports with new SAS HD cables. Four SFF-8643 connectors face upwards near the bracket, and two more face to the rear. The adapter connects via a PCIe Gen3 x8 slot, though it is backwards compatible with PCIe Gen2. The controller houses 1024MB of DDR3-1333 DRAM for caching.
The adapters function from 0-55C without the ZMCP module, and 0-55C with it installed. The card requires 200LFM of airflow for optimum operation. The adapter will throttle if the heat threshold exceeds the limit. The Series 7 adapters consume 12 to 18 Watts, dependent upon the port count. These power specifications were measured with PCIe Gen3 systems and 6G drives.
The heart of the Series 7 RAID controllers is the PMC8015 processor. This very small chip packs quite the punch, delivering 6,600MB/s in sequential speed and 450,000 IOPS in random read speed. Developed by PMC-Sierra, this cornerstone of the Series 7 controller provides Adaptec with a 24-port SAS 2.0 native solution that easily outstrips an x8 PCIe Gen3 connection.
The enhanced density that is a key building block of the Adaptec Series 7 controllers is empowered by the use of the new SAS HD cables. This new type of cable will experience wide deployment from other vendors with the 12Gb/s SAS products. Adaptec made the choice to begin using these cables a year early to maximize the potential of the PM8015. These cables provide a smaller connection that allows Adaptec to pack more connections onto the PCB.
After years of utilizing standard SAS cables these are a refreshing change. Cable routing and management is much simpler due to the thinner profile of the cabling itself. In comparison to previous cables the SAS HD cables are like strands of hair, and flexible enough for tight spaces and quick turns.
Adaptec has a new product line of 6Gb/s SAS HD cables with reasonable price points for use with the Series 7 adaptors. They are also the first to market with unique right angle connections. This will provide the flexibility for deployment into slim form factor servers. The only notable cable type that isn't present in Adaptec's line is dual-port SAS cables.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Assassin's Creed Origins: DLC 'The Hidden Ones' trailer
- PUBG to ban over 100,000 cheaters in one single wave
- Google hires ex PlayStation and Xbox executive Phil Harrison
- Dragon Ball FighterZ gets launch trailer days before release
- Rust will leave Steam Early Access on February 8
- Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Z270-HD3 F8 bios and advanced frequency settings not available...
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Investigation: Benefits to Prioritization Software
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series