MSI's Radeon HD 7850 Power Edition doesn't disappoint! I'm not shocked by that, MSI honestly are one of the most consistent companies when it comes to producing quality video cards and the Power Edition series is another one of those lines that stands out against the competition in a big way.
Thanks to the ties they have with MSI Afterburner, it really opens up what they can do when it comes to overclocking. Series' like the Power Edition, HAWK and Lightning give MSI the ability to stand out from the competition.
I think one of the biggest highlights to these series, though, is that you don't need to have some insane cooling setup to make real use of them. The quality of the Twin Frozr cooler from MSI means that out of the box you're able to achieve clocks higher than competing brand models without doing anything more than load up MSI Afterburner.
On the bundle side of things we've got nothing too out of the ordinary. The inclusion of the MiniDP to DP connector is a really nice inclusion, though, especially when MSI have opted for a I/O setup that includes two MiniDP connectors on it.
The performance is what makes the MSI HD 7850 Power Edition really shine, though. The triple over-voltage feature really opens up the video card for higher clocks and you can see today we're quite often bouncing around performance that sees it fall in line with the HD 7900 series cards with it managing to even out perform the high-end Radeon HD 7970 at times. FPS at 1600 and 1920 is great, but you'll need to look for something with more grunt for gaming at 2560.
Like other Power Edition, HAWK and Lightning based cards, though, there's also this fun factor that's present. Knowing that you have more headroom when it comes to your core and memory clock really means that you get to have a good play with MSI Afterburner and your shiny new video card.
If you're looking for a video card that's going to come in under that $300 mark and you're happy to get down and dirty with the overclocking side yourself, the MSI HD 7850 Power Edition is going to be a video card you should be looking at without a doubt in my mind. The performance you're able to get out of it is amazing which makes for a really well valued video card that sees no negative points.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gears of War 4 to release Halloween Event and Update
- Star Wars The Last Jedi is expected to make $760 million
- GIGABYTE reveal the AORUS X9 gaming laptop
- ASUS announce ROG Strix X370-I & B350-I motherboards
- Microsoft wants you to 'feel true power' with Xbox One X
- ADATA XPG SX950 480GB SATA III SSD Review
- Lenovo Legion Y920 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- Gigabyte Z97 Gaming GT: PCIe slots 3.0 that working only at 1.0 with an ASUS Hyper M.2 x4 expansion card
- Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT: PCIe 3.0 that work only at 1.0 with Asus Hyper m.2 x 4 card
- Gigabyte AB-350 G3 CPU LED & No POST after update ->rollback?
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard