The Switching menu covers the heart of what the GS110TP does; this is switching so that data can get from point A to point B. But there are always things that can slow down or hinder data from getting to where it needs to be.
One of the nice things about the GS110TP is that you can configure each port individually for almost everything. As you can see above, you can even label each port in the WebUI. This can let you know exactly what should and what should not be running. You also have the option of configuring the max frame size on a per port basis when most switches run all or nothing.
The Link Aggregation Protocol page is also much more in depth than others in its price range and class. With the LAG settings you can choose the pairings and setup one of four groups (as there are only 8 ports). You have options for setting up things per port as well as tell the LAG grouping what version of the Spanning Tree Protocol you are using.
Speaking of the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), that is where we find ourselves next. Here you can setup the type of Spanning Tree Protocol you want to use for your multi-node network. You can choose from the older (and slower) STP, the much quicker RSTP (Rapid STP), or MSTP (Multiple STP). With MSTP you can manage multiple legs and STP types with a Common Spanning Tree (CST). This allows you to incorporate multiple VLANs into a common spanning tree easily. For our purposes the RSTP was the best choice as we have it in place in our other smart switches.
Quality of Service
The QoS pages (like everything else) give you some very impressive per-port controls. True, you can also set this globally, but it is nice to be able to set the QoS type and priority for each individual port. You can also classify your traffic using the COS options available and map your ports based on 802.1p protocol or by DSCP (Differentiated Services Code Point).
One of the biggest items that the ProSafe GS110TP brings to the table is the Security available to you. You have multiple levels and types of security to ensure that the traffic on your network is really yours.
In this way the ProSafe GS110TP would be an excellent choice for a network administrator that is interested in maintaining a secure network.
The monitoring tab is what you would expect; not much to talk about here. You can monitor the ports, LAGs, and other functions of the GS110TP like port mirroring (setting two ports to transmit identical data); this is useful for diagnosing network issues or to monitor suspicious data.
The last page we will talk about is the Maintenance page. Here you can reboot the GS110TP, reset to factory defaults, save the configuration file, or install a new one as well as manage the backup image the GS110TP keeps.
Like we said, the GS110TP has a ton of features and options stuffed into its small package. We have only scratched the surface of what it can really do. However, in the interest of time and you (our readers), we will leave this description brief.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 microtransactions should be cosmetic-only weapon & armor skins
- No Man's Sky physical re-release includes Beyond expansion and all DLC
- Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 coming to PS4 at 1080p 60FPS
- Modern Warfare supports mouse and keyboard on consoles
- Oddworld: Soulstorm on PC releases exclusively on the Epic Games Store
- Team Group T-Force Cardea Liquid M.2 SSD Review
- Synology DS620slim Six-Bay SFF NAS Review
- LaCie Rugged RAID Shuttle Review
- Pengo USB-C Dock Review
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- Gameforge Opens Pre-Orders and Announces November Release for the Highly Anticipated Kingdom Under Fire 2
- Philips Brings Precision Computer Peripherals to US
- KORN Battle Concert is Now Live in AdventureQuest 3D!
- NEC: Industrial Internet Consortium Approves Testbed of Negotiation Automation Platform for coordinating interests among AI systems
- Control Launch Trailer for Supernatural Action-Adventure Game Control Revealed Ahead of its Launch Next Week