We used PerformanceTest 6.1 by PassMark which you can find out more information about here. It has a handy Advanced Networking section which is perfect for our testing.
Doing our best to emulate a real-world performance scenario, I setup a "server" running Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Server, (Eurocom Panther Server Xeon W5590, 12GB DDR3, 3x 500GB HDDs RAID5) and the client PCs were an MSI Wind 200 With built-in Intel 802.11n (Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN) adapter and a HTPC computer (MSI H55 motherboard, Intel Core i5 661, 4GB DDR3 1333 memory and a Patriot SSD).
Additionally we threw in a Seagate BlackArmor NAS 440 as a video storage server for MVK files.
Testing of something like a Powerline adapter is pretty simple. You plug both in and run a bandwidth testing benchmark like Passmark as well as pushing some real world data over it. We also tested this against an 802.11n wireless network using the same tools, just to see if we saw a performance difference.
You will notice that the Powerline kits are able to maintain a very consistent speed over their connection, while the wireless can quickly degrade over distance and based on other interference factors. We saw much more consistent performance over the Powerline network for streaming video and audio (including 1080p streaming).
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Windows Store being re-branded as Microsoft Store
- Blizzard announces full Overwatch League teams
- NieR: Automata shipped and sold over 2 million copies
- New Red Dead Redemption 2 updates coming next week
- Vivendi may take over Ubisoft in November
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM