Rosewill has definitely delivered a nice balance between quality and price. The RP650-2 power supply will service a standard enthusiast system without issue. If you have a couple of entry level enthusiast graphics cards with a single power connector like the 9800GT or a single high-end card with two connectors like the GTX 285, the two dedicated rails for the PCI-E connections will ensure you have adequate power of up to about 36 amps. Just make sure you keep your case cool and the power supply well within the true maximum load of 630 Watts. The promised 650 Watt rating, as we discovered, was simply not deliverable.
So, how do we rate a PSU that does not deliver its promised ratings? - We certainly have to frown upon it for not running at reported maximum loads and falling out of ATX spec during Test 5. Sure, the general features are better than average with good cable lengths, nice sleeving, convertible cabling, a PCI-E 8-pin run and a nice polished finish, but you buy a power supply to supply power and, in this regard, it comes up short (literally). If this unit had a stronger 3.3V result and did not push the wattage claim over available power, it may have fared a whole lot better.
I would, however, cautiously recommend this power supply if you can pick it up for a good bit less than the RRP of $129 USD. At this price, I would look at something else. Is it a bad power supply? - No, but it is difficult to get excited about below average performance and an overrated output capacity. I guess you do get what you pay for and in spite of initial positive impressions, the Rosewill was apparently too good to be true.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The Package]
- Page 4 [In the Box]
- Page 5 [The Power Supply]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Because science: sperm used to deliver cancer drug to tumors
- Battlegrounds replay function tested ahead of v1.0 release
- Samsung's mid-range 2018 phones might feature 18:9 displays
- Far Cry 5's new trailer drops, shows off 'The Resistance'
- Bad Company 3 could be joined by new Battlefield set in WWII
- Patriot Viper V570 Blackout Gaming Mouse Review
- Cougar Puri TKL Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series