With car manufacturers and companies like Google currently hard at work on perfecting self-driving cars, a new survey suggests they have a lot of work to do to convince motorists of their safety.
The survey, conducted by insurance experts Bobatoo.co.uk, polled 911 UK motorists and found that only a quarter (25.8%) of them are 'Excited' about the prospect of self-driving cars taking to UK roads. The majority of respondents are either 'Not bothered' or 'Concerned' about driverless cars, and for those that are concerned the issue is well and truly about safety. Many respondents feel that they can't trust self-driving cars to keep them safe, with the risk of malfunction a common concern. One respondent managed to sum up the feelings of those who are concerned about self-driving cars, saying: "Given how often computers go wrong I am concerned that something controlling a car (which is a lethal weapon) could go wrong. I'd want to know how they plan to have it fail safely."
This concern means that less than a third of UK motorists would choose a self-driving car over their current car. Just 27.7% answered that they would prefer to have a driverless car. Almost half of UK drivers (48%) said they definitely would not choose a self-driving car over their current car, and the remaining 24.3% are still not sure.
Revealing the results of the survey, a spokesman for Bobatoo.co.uk said: "It is clear from these findings that vehicle manufacturers still have a long way to go to convince UK drivers that self-driving cars are a safe and viable alternative to current 'manual' cars. "The vast majority of UK motorists are simply not convinced with the prospect of self-driving cars, and would understandably have reservations about trusting them with their family's health and wellbeing."
See the full results of the survey at Bobatoo.co.uk here: http://www.bobatoo.co.uk/blog/driverless-cars-survey-results/
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Assassin's Creed Origins: DLC 'The Hidden Ones' trailer
- PUBG to ban over 100,000 cheaters in one single wave
- Google hires ex PlayStation and Xbox executive Phil Harrison
- Dragon Ball FighterZ gets launch trailer days before release
- Rust will leave Steam Early Access on February 8
- Intel 760P 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Z270-HD3 F8 bios and advanced frequency settings not available...
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top