With car manufacturers and companies like Google currently hard at work on perfecting self-driving cars, a new survey suggests they have a lot of work to do to convince motorists of their safety.
The survey, conducted by insurance experts Bobatoo.co.uk, polled 911 UK motorists and found that only a quarter (25.8%) of them are 'Excited' about the prospect of self-driving cars taking to UK roads. The majority of respondents are either 'Not bothered' or 'Concerned' about driverless cars, and for those that are concerned the issue is well and truly about safety. Many respondents feel that they can't trust self-driving cars to keep them safe, with the risk of malfunction a common concern. One respondent managed to sum up the feelings of those who are concerned about self-driving cars, saying: "Given how often computers go wrong I am concerned that something controlling a car (which is a lethal weapon) could go wrong. I'd want to know how they plan to have it fail safely."
This concern means that less than a third of UK motorists would choose a self-driving car over their current car. Just 27.7% answered that they would prefer to have a driverless car. Almost half of UK drivers (48%) said they definitely would not choose a self-driving car over their current car, and the remaining 24.3% are still not sure.
Revealing the results of the survey, a spokesman for Bobatoo.co.uk said: "It is clear from these findings that vehicle manufacturers still have a long way to go to convince UK drivers that self-driving cars are a safe and viable alternative to current 'manual' cars. "The vast majority of UK motorists are simply not convinced with the prospect of self-driving cars, and would understandably have reservations about trusting them with their family's health and wellbeing."
See the full results of the survey at Bobatoo.co.uk here: http://www.bobatoo.co.uk/blog/driverless-cars-survey-results/
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- Gabe Newell is the 427th richest person in the world
- Sharp NES TV: a curious piece of 1980s gaming magic
- Sony's new PS4 controller for kids looks like a bad idea
- Switch sells over 2 million units in U.S. alone
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Will the PC-A76 accept a Tyan TYAN S7100 (S7100AG2NR) SSI EEB Mother board?
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- GTX 1080 Ti 11GB - SLI or NOT !?
- GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard