At AT&T's Developers' Summit at CES today, AT&T announced new programs that promoted its innovation program (AT&T Foundry) and continuing support for opening up its network.
The API platform (powered by Apigee) has been infused with some additional detail and six disparate areas that are: Payment, Uverse with Wireless, MMS/SMS, Location based services, device capabilities and mHealth Alpha. This has put more structure and support to AT&T's open network initiatives that were mentioned at last year's summit. Now there is more substance and application details to this program and platform.
In addition, there was also an announcement of AT&T joining the OpenStack initiative which is significant as AT&T is the first US carrier to join. It is further evidence of the strong support for open mobile application development and service enablement that AT&T has been promoting in enabling more cloud based services and innovation from external parties including its developers. And with the sponsorship of Microsoft's Windows phone platform, we expect to see more enterprise applications as by-products of the combined developers and AT&T internal product development.
The network is the oxygen' was one of the key mantras shared by John Donovan in his presentation. Although it is an interesting analogy for an application centric audience, one has to wonder how AT&T will monetize this 'oxygen' for many of the data hungry applications, devices and end users. And there was a mention of global capabilities but there wasn't any detail on services that were going to be available outside the US.
Latest News Posts
- Join the fight in our 'Alita: Battle Angel' Blu-ray giveaway
- Bloodborne is getting its very own physical vinyl soundtrack
- Eddie Murphy might be come back to stand-up comedy for $70m
- The Witcher TV show will NEVER adapt the video games
- 'Holy Grail' of computer science found in Quantum Computing
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X: RTX 2080 Ti NVLink vs. GTX 1080 Ti SLI
- AORUS motherboard: all the fans stop for few seconds after POST
- AROUS motherboard: fans stop after boot for few seconds
- Kingston KC2000 High-Performance NVMe SSD Review
- ASRock X570 Taichi (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- Nowhere Prophet out now on Steam
- Soul Searching is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2019!
- Batter Up! Metalhead Software to Launch Super Mega Baseball 2: Ultimate Edition on Nintendo Switch July 25
- Represent Your Identity and New Ideas with .id Domain Name
- Asmodee Digital Reveals Pandemic's Announcement Trailer, Launch Date and Price