WDÂ® Unveils Redesigned My BookÂ® EssentialÂ™ and My Book for MacÂ® Drives with New WD SmartwareÂ™ Software
Helping Consumers Keep Their Digital Lives Safe in One Place
Sydney, Australia - Sept. 30, 2009 - WDÂ® the world's leader in external storage solutions, today introduced its new, smaller, sleeker My BookÂ® EssentialÂ™ and My Book for MacÂ® desktop external hard drives equipped with the new WD SmartWareÂ™ software and hardware-based encryption. The new appliances visually present consumers' data in a software control center, providing them peace of mind that their precious photos, videos and files are securely protected. Available now at select retailers and the WD online store (shopwd.com), the new My Book Essential and My Book for Mac drives are offered in capacities ranging from 500 GB to 2 TB.
According to research firm Parks Associates, the average U.S. broadband household currently has over 120 gigabytes (GB) of digital media and files, which is expected to grow to over 1 terabyte (TB) of data by 2013. The accelerating shift from physical media (such as photo negatives, CDs and DVDs) to digital media (such as digital photos, videos and downloads) means that consumers' real lives and digital lives are increasingly overlapping. And while 70 percent of consumers back up their content, the majority of these people are using manual, cumbersome methods such as copying and pasting to multiple CDs and DVDs, and less than 18 percent use software that automatically and continuously backs up their content. As a result, many consumers' digital lives are unprotected and at risk.
When the My Book Essential drive is plugged in for the first time, the simple and intuitive first backup process launches automatically. The real-time visual interface of WD SmartWare software gives users a reassuring view of their backup as it happens. After the first backup, users' files are backed up automatically every time they change or add a file.
My Book Essential and My Book for Mac drives also feature user-selected password protection combined with military-grade 256-bit hardware encryption, which scrambles files before they are stored. Typically found only on much more expensive drive systems, the encryption acts as a virtual padlocÂ¬k to keep users' data safe.
"Keeping an extra copy of your digital life used to be a painstaking, manual task undertaken only by the most expert and diligent of users. WD's new My Book Essential and My Book for Mac external hard drives, powered by WD SmartWare, have finally made it easy enough so that anyone can do it," said Dale Pistilli, vice president of marketing for WD's branded products group. "WD's new drives combine massive storage capacity, visual backup, and hardware encryption, so consumers can now actually see their digital life, safe in one place."
WD SmartWare software works on WindowsÂ® PCs and Mac computers. WD My Book Essential hard drives are designed for Windows-based PCs while WD My Book for Mac drives are formatted for Mac computers and are compatible with AppleÂ® TimeMachineÂ™, Apple's integrated backup solution.
WD SmartWare Software
WD SmartWare software features:
- Visual backup displays that show content in categories and shows the progress of backup;
- Automatic, continuous data backup will instantly make a second copy whenever you add or change a file;
- Retrieve valuable data to its original location whether it's lost data or the file has been overwritten; and,
- Customizable data backup that allows user to set drive security, run diagnostics, manage the power settings, and more from the WD SmartWare control center.
My Book Essential
The new WD My Book Essential and My Book for Mac drives with WD SmartWare software feature:
- Smaller, sleeker, more streamlined design and elegant book-like shape that takes up minimal space;
- 256-bit hardware encryption and password protection for peace of mind knowing that data is protected from unauthorized access;
- Illuminated capacity gauge lets user see at a glance how much space is available on the drive;
- USB 2.0 interface - for convenience and compatibility among multiple computers;
- WD GreenPower TechnologyÂ™ lowers internal drive power consumption by up to 30 percent, a sleep mode reduces power during idle times, and a power-saving feature turns the drive on and off with your computer;
- Planet-friendly packaging derived from recycled materials to minimize waste;
- Ready to plug-and-play with Windows PCs; and,
- 3-year limited warranty.
The My Book for Mac drives are plug-and-play ready for Mac computer users and compatible with Apple TimeMachine.
Product and Pricing Summary
Manufacturer: Western Digital
Product Name: My Book Essential and My Book for Mac
RRP for 1 TB: AU$199, NZ$239
RRP for 1.5 TB : AU$269, NZ$319
RRP for 2 TB: AU$449, NZ$549
Australian Distributors: Synnex Australia and Simms International (Simms for the My Book for Mac only)
New Zealand Distributors: Ingram NZ, Synnex NZ
Photos and Product Specs download: http://www.gapmarketing.com.au/press_images/WD/MyBook_MediaKit.zip
WD, one of the storage industry's pioneers and long-time leaders, provides products and services for people and organizations that collect, manage and use digital information. The company designs and produces reliable, high-performance hard drives and solid state drives that keep users' data accessible and secure from loss. Its advanced technologies are configured into applications for client and enterprise computing, embedded systems and consumer electronics, as well as its own consumer storage and media products.
WD was founded in 1970. The company's storage products are marketed to leading OEMs, systems manufacturers, selected resellers and retailers under the Western DigitalÂ® and WD brand names. Visit the Investor section of the company's Web site (www.westerndigital.com) to access a variety of financial and investor information.
Latest News Posts
- Enter our out-of-this-world 'Valerian' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Intel's new XMM 7660 LTE modem: 1.6Gbps speeds on your phone
- Skyrim on Switch runs at native 900p resolution while docked
- THQ Nordic grabs Biomutant game rights and developer
- EA: Live services are a predictable, evolving business
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- Supermicro SuperO C7Z370-CG-L Motherboard Review
- GAMDIAS Hermes E1 Gaming Combo Review
- need advice for replacing 4 washable air filter for my pc-b25s
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ