Phison's new U18 memory controller bring speeds of up to 1.9GB/sec reads and 1.7GB/sec writes to USB-C flash drives.
Phison just revealed its new PS2251-18 (U18) native UFD memory controller that introduces higher-speeds via USB 3.2 Gen2x2. Phison's U18 taps USB 3.2 Gen2x2's 20Gbps by using both the 10Gbps data transmission and the other 10Gbps transmission for optional features like DisplayPort, giving max throughput available from the standard. The result is blistering-fast data speeds for high-performance data workloads and storage.
Phison's U18 controller is DRAM-less, is "15 times faster and more quiet than external HDDs," and supports up to 4TB of flash memory with speeds of 1.9GB/sec reads and 1.7GB/sec writes. It's also backwards compatible and features seamless compatibility with USB-C devices, and should complement next-gen consoles like the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X quite nicely.
- Up to 4TB capacity in a small 26mm x 60mm PCBA footprint
- Compatible with any device that have a USB Type-C connector (PCs, Mac, notebooks, tablets, smartphones, and gaming consoles)
- Backwards compatible to USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1 using a USB Type-A adapter
- 15 times faster and more quiet compared to external HDDs
- High sequential read and write performance
- Requires no bridge controller, reduces cost and complication of PCBA design
- 56% more efficient compared to bridge-based USB external SSD
SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 Internal Gaming SSD M.2 (MZ-V8P1T0B (MZ-V8P1T0B/AM)
- > NEXT STORY: CD Projekt is now being sued by five law firms over Cyberpunk 2077
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Stadia game streaming app coming to LG's smart TVs in 2021