Risk of Rain 2 looks like tons of fun, even if it's hard as nails.
Gearbox today announced Risk of Rain 2 during its PAX East presentation, a new evolution on the indie platformer roguelike. Risk of Rain 2 sees the original sidescrolling platformer reborn with 3D graphics and visuals, ultimately transforming it into a rather appealing indie survival shooter. Up to three other players can join you for co-op chaos as you blast all sorts of randomized robots, aliens, lizard-people and other marauding baddies in a madcap run for freedom and loot.
The sequel, which has been in development for 3 years now, keeps true to the original's premise and form: get as far as you can and collect as much loot as you can before you die. Then rinse and repeat. The graphics are extremely appealing and remind me of a modern day Atari game, complete with that old-school 80s do-or-die kind of feel.
Risk of Rain 2 adds two new classes, bumping up the total survivor count to five. The new Artificer (a kind of space wizard) and MUL-T, as well as the classic Engineer, Huntress, and Commando trio.
Risk of Rain 2 is currently available in early access on Steam for $20, and if you buy now you get a free copy to give to a friend. This promo lasts until March 30, so jump in while you can.
The classic multiplayer roguelike, Risk of Rain, returns with an extra dimension and more challenging action. No run will ever be the same with randomized stages, enemies, bosses, and items. Play solo, or team up with up to four friends to fight your way through hordes of monsters, unlock new loot, and find a way to escape the planet.
With each run, you'll learn the patterns of your foes, and even the longest odds can be overcome with enough skill. A unique scaling system means both you and your foes limitlessly increase in power over the course of a game--what once was a bossfight will in time become a common enemy.
Myriad survivors, items, enemies, and bosses return to Risk 2, and many new ones are joining the fight. Brand new survivors like the Artificer and MUL-T debut alongside classic survivors such as the Engineer, Huntress, and--of course--the Commando. With over 75 items to unlock and exploit, each run will keep you cleverly strategizing your way out of sticky situations.
- Play four player co-op seamlessly through Steam - no more port forwarding
- Unlock over 75 items over time, keeping each run fresh and full of new challenges
- Play and unlock new and returning survivors, each with their own abilities to master
- Theorycraft and exploit endless item and character combos
- Encounter challenging monsters and enormous bosses
- Explore massive, handcrafted 3D levels
- Discover lore through the collection of Monster, Item, and Environment Logs
- Challenge your friends-and the world-in all-new Prismatic Trials, a unique seeded run where everyone can race up a global leaderboard
- >> NEXT STORY: New Borderlands 1 remaster has 4 player split-screen co-op
- << PREVIOUS STORY: Borderlands 3 has over 1 billion guns