Sony's PlayStation VR continues pushing consumer interest in virtual reality and sparks sales in 2018's holiday quarter.
The PS4-powered PlayStation VR headset helped push 2018's total virtual reality revenues up to $3.6 billion, according to figures from analyst firm SuperData. The data clearly shows that consumers favor lower-cost hardware that's more accessible than enthusiast PC-powered models. In 2018's holiday quarter, Sony's VR HMD sold 700,000 units worldwide, followed by the wireless $199 Oculus Go with 555,000 sales. More demanding VR headsets like the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive sold 160,000 and 130,000 units respectively.
The PlayStation 4's staggering 91.6 million install base is a major factor in PSVR adoption and serves as a widespread foundation; so many people already own a PS4 that buying into the VR ecosystem is made much easier and less expensive than the Rift's of Vive's total PC-and-headset cost. Of course Black Friday sales also helped push PSVR adoption.
SuperData expects VR earnings to jump thanks to the Oculus Quest all-in-one headset, which essentially mimics the PSVR's current benefits and selling points.
The firm predicts 1.3 million Oculus Quests will be sold throughout the year/
"2019 is poised to be an important year for VR with the introduction of the Oculus Quest," said Stephanie Llamas, Head of VR/AR at SuperData. "Device tethering to consoles and PCs has been an obstacle for consumer adoption, so a standalone headset like the Quest could be a real game changer. Likewise, the introduction of new headset technology like eye tracking in the HTC VIVE Pro Eye is likely to accelerate growth of enterprise usage."
Last updated: Jan 28, 2019 at 06:11 am CST
- PS5 won't play PS1, PS2 or PS3 discs, 100 PS4 games support at launch
- PlayStation 5's SSD may revolutionize save states with instant launch
- Game devs: Xbox Series X isn't significantly more powerful than PS5
- PlayStation 5 may play thousands of PS4 games at launch
- Sony isn't 100% sure COVID-19 won't delay PlayStation 5 and new games
- > NEXT STORY: Dragon Ball FighterZ season 2 DLC confirms 'Jiren' addition
- < PREVIOUS STORY: AMD releases Radeon Adrenalin 2019 19.1.2 BETA drivers