Blizzard's classic games division today announced Warcraft III: Reforged, a remastered and updated flavor of the old-school RTS.
The main selling point of Warcraft III: Reforged is playing the classic strategy game with refreshed graphics and tapping into nostalgia. But what you remember may not be fully represented in Warcraft III's remaster. While Blizzard is updating the visuals quite a bit--they've been built "from the ground up" for modern PCs--most of the other basic elements will be preserved while finer details are re-tooled.
The devs are re-balancing a ton of heroes, units and more to ensure it plays like a "modern game", and multiplayer will be hosted via the modern Battle.net client. Heroes and main RTS-level features look to be the same but I'm curious how the updates will change the classic experience. Custom games are in and the remaster will launch with an updated World Editor.
Warcraft III: Reforged is slated to launch in 2019. Check below for more info:
An Upgraded Experience
Challenge opponents with modern multiplayer matchmaking, search for custom game lobbies, and connect with friends through the Blizzard Battle.net app. With updated UI and countless quality-of-life improvements, it's never been easier to get into Warcraft III.
Limitless Custom Games
Discover millions of player-created games, including tower defense, MOBAs, ARPGs, survival games, and more, or build your own with the upgraded World Editor.
We're making hundreds of balance changes to heroes, units, and buildings to bring Warcraft III's classic gameplay into the modern age.
- Visuals rebuilt from the ground up
- 62 single-player missions across Azeroth and beyond
- Over 4 hours of reforged cutscenes
- Approachable hero-centric gameplay
- Four powerful races from Warcraft lore
- Limitless custom games to explore
- Updated UI and rebalanced gameplay
- Modern Blizzard Battle.net features
- >> NEXT STORY: New Diablo mobile game is primed for microtransactions
- << PREVIOUS STORY: Diablo III Switch portal trapped inside Loot Goblin amiibo