New World Interactive is working on something that might be a surprise with Insurgency: Sandstorm, with the Unreal Engine 4 powered first-person shooter to be more fleshed out than the FPS games we're used to. The developer has been working on new features, which will include:
- Expanded environment scale.
- Light vehicles for transportation and fire support.
- New game modes designed for vehicle gameplay.
- Competitive matchmaking, anti-cheat, and rankings system.
- Improved ballistics system including bullet drop and travel time.
- Interacting with the environment by climbing ladders and door breaching.
Insurgency: Sandstorm will have a very strong single player component, where up to 4 gamers can play together. New World Creative Director Andrew Spearin explains the first-person shooter story modes that plague games now, and how Insurgency: Sandstorm will be different:
We are very excited to venture into the realm of storytelling to offer more depth for Insurgency. Shooters do not have to be about mindless killing, so players can stop and ask questions about the world a game represents, and find answers within the narrative. Historically, the avant garde in many art forms are who disrupt and redefine genres. For a decade Insurgency has been in that position, and we are emerging from indie obscurity to innovate the FPS genre.