Storage Visions 2015 - At the SATA-IO booth at Storage Visions an HGST Ultrastar He8 HDD is on display. The new high capacity drives from HGST are utilizing helium, with their HelioSeal technology, to reduce air resistance and vibration. This allows them to cram more platters into the standard 3.5" form factor. The He8 features the same 7stac architecture as its predecessor, the Ultrastar He6 (review here). This architecture utilizes 7 platters and 14 heads.
The net benefit is 33% more capacity with a decrease of 23% for idle power consumption. The He8 also offers 44% better Watts per TB. The drives also feature Instant Secure Erase for security and Rebuild Assist to speed RAID recovery tasks.
Last updated: Dec 6, 2019 at 02:46 pm CST
- Phison at CES 2020, up to 8TB M.2 along with 16TB SATA QLC powered SSD
- Apple's new 16-inch MacBook Pro: 64GB RAM, 8TB SSD for $6099
- No Man's Sky was one of Steam's most-played games four years in a row
- New No Man's Sky update lets you build custom exosuit mechs
- Samsung's next-gen Galaxy S11 rumored to have 120Hz display
- > NEXT STORY: Valve's latest feature for Steam: an in-game FPS counter
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Strings, a new app that lets you un-send your messages