Google says that it has already laid about 6,000 miles of fiber optic broadband cable throughout Kansas City, and now the company is ready to expand even further. The company plans on extending its Google Fiber coverage to residents in South Kansas City, Kansas City, Grandview, Raytown and Gladstone areas.
Google says that if there is enough demand in these areas and residents sign up with a $10 registration fee, then they will expand their fiber network to these areas just weeks after the signups are complete. There is a deadline to signup for Google Fiber and its ranges based on the area you live in so check the list below and sign up as fast as possible!
One important note: your fiberhood has a deadline by which you need to reach your signup goal. The deadlines are coming up over the next few weeks, so it's important to sign up as soon as you can.
- Thursday, April 10 - deadline for residents in 73 fiberhoods in south KCMO, Grandview & Raytown
- Thursday, May 15 - deadline for residents in 33 fiberhoods in KCMO northwest
- Monday, June 19 - deadline for residents in 52 fiberhoods in KCMO northeast and Gladstone
We plan to start hooking up homes in these fiberhoods a few weeks after their deadlines, and expect to have all qualified fiberhoods connected by the end of this year. We are also extending this opportunity to the 21 fiberhoods in central KCMO and KCK that didn't qualify for Google Fiber in 2012; these fiberhoods will have until June 19 to tell us they want Fiber.
- > NEXT STORY: Crytek expected to announce CryEngine for Linux next week at GDC
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Titanfall now available for download on PC and Xbox One