We are finally seeing 8-core processors in our smartphones, but do we really need all of this power? According to chipmaker Qualcomm, we don't. More specifically, Qualcomm's Senior Vice President, Anand Chandrasekher has come out and said 8-core processors for smartphones are just "dumb."
Chandrasekher likened adding more cores to taking eight lawnmower engines, putting them together and calling it an eight cylinder Ferrari engine. Chandrasekher added that Qualcomm are focusing on providing consumers with a good experience, which starts with a good modem, long battery life and an affordable price point.
The Qualcomm executive said that adding more cores into the mix is like throwing spaghetti at a wall and seeing what sticks. Your move, Samsung.
Last updated: Dec 6, 2019 at 02:46 pm CST
- Black Shark 3 gaming phone: 90Hz display, 12GB RAM, liquid cooling, 5G
- Qualcomm aims to ship over 750 million 5G smartphones in 2022
- Qualcomm's new Snapdragon 765/765G: making 5G mainstream
- Qualcomm Adreno 650 GPU 'most efficient graphics core in the world'
- Qualcomm to release suped-up Snapdragon 865+ in Q3 2020
- > NEXT STORY: College students are still buying PCs, not tablets, for now
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Samsung Galaxy Folder brings back the flip phone