Viiv under the Hood - Software
The heart and soul of a Viiv machine is Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Or, in the coming months, Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, which features the Media Center application as part of the install.
Interestingly, the Viiv prerequisites don't include a TV tuner, which is a bit odd. But perhaps it's because Intel doesn't really care what sort of tuner card you use. Windows XP MCE does require a tuner card, and they do care what sort you use, so just stick to their guidelines.
All the software Intel has released so far for Viiv machines (drivers, etc) is geared to run on Windows XP MCE, so there's no question about using an alternate configuration like MediaPortal on Windows XP. It's not that such a setup wouldn't work, but it would break the requirements for Viiv and the Intel updates wouldn't work. It would also run into problems trying to use DRM-protected content.
And Linux/OSX systems have been left out in the cold. Some people are naturally frustrated with Intel's close partnership with Microsoft, feeling that it's yet another example of stifling the competition. Whatever the reason however, there's no doubt that the Viiv experience will in reality be a Microsoft experience.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Viiv under the Hood - Hardware]
- Page 3 [Viiv under the Hood - Software]
- Page 4 [Digital Rights Management (DRM)]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Labo brings cardboard cut-outs to the gaming world
- Metal Gear Survive will feature microtransactions
- Surprise character hits Dragon Ball FighterZ before launch
- God of War: Stone Manson Edition unveiled
- Dark Souls Remastered won't support cross-platform
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series