Viiv under the Hood - Software
The heart and soul of a Viiv machine is Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Or, in the coming months, Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, which features the Media Center application as part of the install.
Interestingly, the Viiv prerequisites don't include a TV tuner, which is a bit odd. But perhaps it's because Intel doesn't really care what sort of tuner card you use. Windows XP MCE does require a tuner card, and they do care what sort you use, so just stick to their guidelines.
All the software Intel has released so far for Viiv machines (drivers, etc) is geared to run on Windows XP MCE, so there's no question about using an alternate configuration like MediaPortal on Windows XP. It's not that such a setup wouldn't work, but it would break the requirements for Viiv and the Intel updates wouldn't work. It would also run into problems trying to use DRM-protected content.
And Linux/OSX systems have been left out in the cold. Some people are naturally frustrated with Intel's close partnership with Microsoft, feeling that it's yet another example of stifling the competition. Whatever the reason however, there's no doubt that the Viiv experience will in reality be a Microsoft experience.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Viiv under the Hood - Hardware]
- Page 3 [Viiv under the Hood - Software]
- Page 4 [Digital Rights Management (DRM)]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apex Legends turning their son transsexual, says parents
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Switch, motion control support
- NetherRealm Studios confirms 'Jade' for Mortal Kombat 11
- New Smash Bros. Ultimate amiibo's images: Ken, Daisy & more
- Apple prepares to unveil their own 'Netflix'-like platform
- ASRock Multi-Gigabit Performance: 10GbE/5GbE/2.5G Networking
- Very odd boot behavior on three identical x399 Taichi builds.
- G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000MHz 32GB Memory Kit Review
- Asrock A97x Killer and Evga 980TI help
- New Screenshots for ShaRkPG, Maneater | PC Version to Support NVIDIA Ansel Technology
- The world's first judicial friendship simulator takes to Kickstarter in Supreme Courtship!
- Cupid hits Ring of Elysium with Valentine's Day event
- New Gameplay Video for World-Shaping RTS Bannermen Released
- Nokia launches Cognitive Collaboration Hubs to help operators design 5G networks and create AI-enabled use cases