Viiv under the Hood - Software
The heart and soul of a Viiv machine is Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Or, in the coming months, Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, which features the Media Center application as part of the install.
Interestingly, the Viiv prerequisites don't include a TV tuner, which is a bit odd. But perhaps it's because Intel doesn't really care what sort of tuner card you use. Windows XP MCE does require a tuner card, and they do care what sort you use, so just stick to their guidelines.
All the software Intel has released so far for Viiv machines (drivers, etc) is geared to run on Windows XP MCE, so there's no question about using an alternate configuration like MediaPortal on Windows XP. It's not that such a setup wouldn't work, but it would break the requirements for Viiv and the Intel updates wouldn't work. It would also run into problems trying to use DRM-protected content.
And Linux/OSX systems have been left out in the cold. Some people are naturally frustrated with Intel's close partnership with Microsoft, feeling that it's yet another example of stifling the competition. Whatever the reason however, there's no doubt that the Viiv experience will in reality be a Microsoft experience.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Viiv under the Hood - Hardware]
- Page 3 [Viiv under the Hood - Software]
- Page 4 [Digital Rights Management (DRM)]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD's new Radeon RX 590 teased with ASUS ROG STRIX card
- Capcom reveal Resident Evil 2 Claire 'Military' DLC costume
- Soulcalibur VI - Swords and Souls documentary video part 1/2
- Mario/Zelda/Pokemon themed Smash Bros. Ultimate controllers
- Kingdom Hearts III Screenshots: Twilight Town/Olympus Worlds
- Intel Core i9-9900K 9th Gen Coffee Lake Review
- x79 compatibility with NVNe
- ASRock X399M Taichi Stuck on Splash Screen
- HP EX920 SSD Review - Mainstream Perfection
- SIV Smart Fan 5 on X399 platforms ... a mess.
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam