It's been a long time since we've tested NVIDIA SLI and been able to see how the technology is going. To be honest, it hasn't really changed much since we last looked at the technology previously. That's not a bad thing, though, because SLI has always been very strong and when it comes to offering a good boost in performance, it's done an excellent job.
SLI and CrossFire ultimately are both very good these days, especially when it comes to just using two cards. Moving past that, the gains aren't always as impressive; of course they still exist, but the value isn't as strong when compared to moving from a single GPU setup to a dual GPU setup.
Going to an SLI setup, though, usually always just comes down to price. A single GTX 650 TI Boost is going set you back $169.99 meaning two comes in at $339.98. Against the AMD line up it's fair to say that performance of an SLI setup is similar to that of a single Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, which costs around $440.
With a $100 price difference you can see the value in going for this kind of SLI setup over the single higher end AMD option. Combined with the fact that SLI performance gains are strong and consistent, you'd find yourself hard pressed to justify the extra $100 for the AMD option.
Multi card setups aren't for everyone, but if you're looking for some good performance at a strong price point, with the way AMD and NVIDIA are being so aggressive with these mid-range video cards these days, it's something that you should really start to look at.
In the end we all want strong performance at a strong price point. For that reason this is a setup that you should really consider. What we really want to see, though, is the performance of some cards with aftermarket cooling. We'd like to get the temperature and noise levels a little lower. That's of course something we're going to be looking at over the coming days - stay tuned for more.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 19 [Temperature Test]
- Page 20 [Sound Test]
- Page 21 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 22 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.