If you hadn't already heard, the 6950X 10-core $1700 beast isn't the best overclocker. I cannot validate CPU frequency anywhere near 5GHz, and I cannot even boot at 4.5GHz, but I can run 4.4GHz on all cores. I have decided to change how I do the overclocking section and determine exactly what it takes to push to the CPU to this maximum stable frequency on the different motherboards I test.
MSI's X99A TOMAHAWK provided very simple CPU core overclocking, and the results are in line with what I expect from X99 refresh motherboards.
The CPU had no trouble taking on my handbrake stability test. I picked fixed CPU frequency in the BIOS drop down menu and then just set 44x for all core ratios, manually inputted 1.35v for the VCore with 1.8v on the VIN with the second highest level of LLC.
The Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200MHz C16 kit is working well.
The G.Skill TridentZ 32GB 3200MHz C14 kit is working well.
The GEIL EVO FORZA 32GB 2400MHz C15 kit is working well.
PRICING: You can find the MSI X99A TOMAHAWK Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The MSI X99A TOMAHAWK Motherboard retails for $236 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The MSI X99A TOMAHAWK Motherboard retails for £251 at Amazon UK.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and X99A TOMAHAWK Overview]
- Page 3 [MSI X99A TOMAHAWK Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [MSI X99A TOMAHAWK Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Thermal Imaging and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, a very slick mobo for Ryzen
- AMD Ryzen 5 1600X costs $260, offers Intel perf. at $617
- Early Nintendo Switch consoles were actually stolen
- Why Nier: Automata isn't coming to Xbox One
- Grand Theft Auto movie or TV show could happen
- Asus PRIME B250-PLUS Integated Graphics issue
- Looking for help overclocking a GA-EP43-UD3L
- I5 6600k OC settings.. aorus z270
- ASUS K55VM (LAPTOP A55VM) can't control fan speed for myself
- First ever CPU overclock - is this ok?
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Republic of Gamers announces Strix Impact