Installation and Finished Product
With rubber tips on the ends of the back plate, and text on it denoting which side goes toward the motherboard for which socket. Both ends of the bracket are drilled equally, so you really cannot screw this up.
Above the motherboard, we installed the standoffs, put the Intel mounting brackets above and below the socket to correspond with the screws on the cooler, and secured it all with the knurled nuts. Everything should be solid at this point, and we are ready to put the cooler onto the CPU.
This is where the provided screwdriver comes in handy. Since the mounting screws can only be accessed between the towers, it is very helpful to have a long screwdriver to get to them. Once this is done, be sure to return the fan and plug it in, and then add the shroud cover back over it all.
As the HEX 2.0 peaks out above the memory, it is easy to get a sense of the limited space this cooler needs to offer the results we are about to see. While not perfect for a lot of the SFF chassis designs, this is small enough to get into tighter cases, where the standard 120mm tower cooler will not fit.
Even though Phononic opted for a dual tower design, they did not encroach on the important bits around the cooler while doing it. As for the memory, all four slots are clear and easily accessed, which is a plus for many users.
We did run into a small issue, and we realize most motherboards are not built like our Sabertooth. However, we were not able to clip the bottom of the fan shroud cover back into place due to the height of the Thermal Armor on our motherboard.
We cannot get over how compact this design is, and just what the HEX 2.0 is supposedly capable of. There is room to attach the 8-pin power lead, room to connect the additional fan lead cable, and also plenty of room to access the motherboard mounting screws, which is crucial for Mini-ITX users.
This image shows off the HEX 2.0 in all its glory, fully connected, and ready to get to the testing. One major consideration though is the location of the connectivity. We are very close to the video card in the second slot as it sits here, and with Mini-ITX or top slot GPU motherboards, things could get tricky.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Phononic HEX 2.0 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Phononic HEX 2.0 CPU Cooler Continued]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 7 [Software]
- Page 8 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries announced for 2018
- GIVEAWAY: Corsair Limited RM1000i Special Edition PSU
- Universal's 'The Mummy' returns in first teaser trailer
- Social media ad spending will hit $50 billion by 2019
- Enter our giant 'BFG' Blu-ray giveaway thanks to Disney!
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset