Installation and Finished Product
With rubber tips on the ends of the back plate, and text on it denoting which side goes toward the motherboard for which socket. Both ends of the bracket are drilled equally, so you really cannot screw this up.
Above the motherboard, we installed the standoffs, put the Intel mounting brackets above and below the socket to correspond with the screws on the cooler, and secured it all with the knurled nuts. Everything should be solid at this point, and we are ready to put the cooler onto the CPU.
This is where the provided screwdriver comes in handy. Since the mounting screws can only be accessed between the towers, it is very helpful to have a long screwdriver to get to them. Once this is done, be sure to return the fan and plug it in, and then add the shroud cover back over it all.
As the HEX 2.0 peaks out above the memory, it is easy to get a sense of the limited space this cooler needs to offer the results we are about to see. While not perfect for a lot of the SFF chassis designs, this is small enough to get into tighter cases, where the standard 120mm tower cooler will not fit.
Even though Phononic opted for a dual tower design, they did not encroach on the important bits around the cooler while doing it. As for the memory, all four slots are clear and easily accessed, which is a plus for many users.
We did run into a small issue, and we realize most motherboards are not built like our Sabertooth. However, we were not able to clip the bottom of the fan shroud cover back into place due to the height of the Thermal Armor on our motherboard.
We cannot get over how compact this design is, and just what the HEX 2.0 is supposedly capable of. There is room to attach the 8-pin power lead, room to connect the additional fan lead cable, and also plenty of room to access the motherboard mounting screws, which is crucial for Mini-ITX users.
This image shows off the HEX 2.0 in all its glory, fully connected, and ready to get to the testing. One major consideration though is the location of the connectivity. We are very close to the video card in the second slot as it sits here, and with Mini-ITX or top slot GPU motherboards, things could get tricky.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Phononic HEX 2.0 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Phononic HEX 2.0 CPU Cooler Continued]
- Page 5 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 6 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 7 [Software]
- Page 8 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung teases prototype 1.96-inch 4K LCD for VR HMDs
- Exploding Beats headphones aren't Apple's fault
- Samsung: Galaxy S8 is 2-for-1 in the US only right now
- NVIDIA's purported Volta-based TITAN Xv spotted
- Joss Wheddon taking over 'Justice League' directing duty
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Alien Covenant Movie Review
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning