NVIDIA's Tegra X1 is Oh-So-Powerful
NVIDIA has made good use of its impressive Tegra X1 processor inside of the Shield, which packs a 256-core Maxwell GPU, 3GB of RAM, and 16GB of flash storage (which is upgradable through the microSD card slot, and the included USB ports).
Thanks to the Tegra X1 powering the Shield, it makes the 4K-capable set-top box the fastest STB on the market. But what does the faster chip inside of the Shield offer you? Well, it allows you to load everything on the Shield nearly instantly, especially when it comes to 4K content.
The NVIDIA Shield is capable of 10-bit color for gorgeous pixels hitting your screen, and Dolby 7.1 surround sound if you've got the audio gear in your living room that supports it. On top of that, it supports headphones being plugged into either the Shield controller or the Shield Remote for private listening.
Software wise, we have Android 5.1 Lollipop (with an Android 6.0 update on the way) - with Android TV support, and Google Cast support, so it's very similar to the way a Chromecast works, except 100x better - oh and 4K capable.
NVIDIA has a couple of different model Shields in the wild, with the model we're using featuring 16GB of NAND flash. There is another model with a 500GB HDD, which would come in handy for those storing content locally, instead of streaming it.
PRICING: You can find the NVIDIA Shield for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The NVIDIA Shield retails for $196 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: The NVIDIA Shield retails for £150 at Amazon UK.
Canada: The NVIDIA Shield retails for $289 CAD at Amazon Canada.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 might be finished as Project Scorpio launch game
- Microsoft patents foldable smartphone
- Switch is all about 'playing games anywhere with anyone'
- Gabe Newell holding Reddit AmA tomorrow
- Stock Nintendo Switch JoyConGrip won't recharge JoyCons
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99